Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to everyone
I just test rode an 02 Mean Streak with about 12K miles. The front tire is the original (and was shot) but we couldn't help noticing that it was worn much worse on one side than the other and also has a cupped or bumpy pattern. Of course on an automobile, that would indicate tire misalignment, but I've never heard of a motorcycle being misaligned. We asked a dealer and he didn't know for sure, but though maybe is was caused from the tire being out of balance. The bike had been dropped once and the side of the tank was bent in, but on careful inspection we could not see any other damage (supposedly it fell over in the driveway).

On the test ride, I swerved the bike from side to side and couldn't detect any difference between going left or right.

I am giving serious consideration to buying this bike and am wondering if this wear pattern could be an indication of a serious problem ? Are there any problems specific to this particular model I should be on the look out for?

BTW, this was my first ride on a big inch v twin cruiser and even though I rode at a slow speed down a residential neighborhood street, I couldn't believe the feel of torque and power this thing had. To my eyes, a Mean Streak is one gorgeous machine.

I'll greatly appreciate any info anyone can provide.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My guess is that whoever owned it didn't keep proper air pressure in the tire.

It's unlikely the front end was hurt by a drop. I dropped my last bike twice and didn't hurt it. Stupid reasons. :oops: Hooray for Highway bars. :D

If you are buying from a private party, I would suggest trying to get the front wheel off the ground with a jack. That way you can turn the forks side to side and see if they move smoothly. Also, try pushing them front to rear. A lot of play or grittiness could indicate stem head bearing problems. Very doubtful.

There are no real big problems that I know of with the bike. I have a 04 1600 Marauder which is Suzuki's version (now a collector's item) and I think it's a great bike. You might check with a dealer to see if there have been any recalls, and see if they were taken care of.

If someone can't put air in the tires they probably didn't do much else. I'd ask about maintainance. Even if they changed the oil once or twice you are probably ok. These things are well made. The factory servive intervals are 600 miles, 4000, 7500, 12,000, 15000, 20000 and 24000. Plugs should have been done at 7500.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
605 Posts
improper air pressure and the person probably thought that as long as I rotate it once a week to a new spot it will be okay...WRONG...so it's probably worn on the left side and if I were you I would never have test ridden a bike with a bad tire.

1. it pops at 45 you are unfamiliar with the bike you get tossed.

2. he calls police said you broke it you bought it

But if you can get the tire up and make sure that it's just the tire and not the rim then I'd buy it if everything else is up to snuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Zero, I ride a 04 MS and 01 Nomad. I ran about 25K on the front tire of the Nomad and it started cupping and had it replaced. I've got just over 6000 miles on the MS and the front tire is cupping bad...... I check my tires every week and keep the pressure tweeked. I've talked to the service manager and he says that with the sport bike type tire that it is not unusual and that the sport bike clan normally don't get much more than 7500 - 8500 miles on their front tires. So I guess it is 2 new tires for me now. I've got maybe 750 - 1000 miles left on the rear and it will be bald. I got 7500 out of the OEM rear tire on the Nomad and get 12 - 13k on the tires I run now. Yes tire pressure plays a part in the wear of tires but the compound and rating plays a major roll. Anyway good luck on your quest. I think the MS is one of the best looking bikes out there.

John, Pensacola FL
01 Red/Silver Nomad - 04 Candy Thunder Blue MS 1600

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

must be bridgestones :roll:

·
Registered
458 Posts
nomadrider1 said:
Zero, I ride a 04 MS ..... I've got just over 6000 miles on the MS and the front tire is cupping bad...... I check my tires every week .....
Interesting and a bit disappointing, only 6k miles. I have 1500 on mine and see no problem yet. I will have to keep a close eye on mine.

BTW, mine has Dunlop tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts