Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sorted my carb,like so many of the posts on here my quad was running rough. I found that my carb was running rich at idle and fouling he plug.
I bought a new float needle from wemoto.com ( U.K. )set the float height to
the float bowl gasket line,but more importantly, I cleaned out the pilot jet circuit
I know that carb manuals warn against poking wire in the galleries ,but I found that the only way to get the gunge out was to use fuse wire and an airosol electrical degreaser sprayed through the drillings in the carb body.
After the float chamber level and idle circuit were sorted ,I got a nice even
idle at about 3 full turns out on the pilot screw.
Maybe these carbs arn't as bad as we are led to believe,might be worth going back to basics and cleaning out the gunge and setting float height before fitting a different carb. ( unless of course the diaphragm is nackered ,when the cost of replacement is close to the price of a new carb )
Japanese vehicles are often reliable,but if they do need parts,they cost a fortune,as opposed to my Landrover,and Buell Cyclone,they often need parts but the parts ( especially the Landrover ) are cheap.
Can you imagine if Landrover made a quad,would probably weigh a ton,but last forever, and if Buell made a quad!!!!!!!!!
Lee

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The folks that toss these carbs usually end up using the exact same series carb from a Honda, the problems are nearly always crud in the passages. But, as you have pointed out, they are often difficult to clean without a bit of mechanical help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts