Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i've been riding for about a year and a half now and im looking for a upgrade. I have almost 6K miles on my lil 09 ninja and feel that i want more weight and a lil more speed.
I was considering staying in the Kawi family and snagging a 2010 650r. Parallel Twin, smooth throttle..
BUT, i was also looking at the R6 and the CBR 600... Anyone suggestions? I don't want to kill myself on a monster bike =/

·
Registered
226 Posts
I went from my first ride on a Ninja 250 for 3 months, straight to an 06 636. It was awesome, the bikes are incredible. If you're looking to stay in the family and want a sportbike that'll have enough power for most people for the whole riding careers, I suggest looking at the 636's. Know nothing about any others other than 05-06 ZX6R.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
How much you want to pay for the bike, cost of insurance, and what kind of riding position do you prefer are the big questions... I went from a 500R, to a 650R, to my ZX-6R (so you know which model has my vote).

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Your first step would be to go visit your Kaw dealership and sit on everything that appeals to you. I loved the IDEA of a supersport, but when I sat on them, I quickly realized that there was no way I could ride that way long term. For kicks, I sat on a ZX14...that gave me a big laugh. All that power between your legs must be an incredible experience, but the riding position is an acquired taste.

I'm not a total speed freak, so my 650R fit all my needs perfectly. It'll raise the front wheel when prodded to do so, but it requires more prodding than a supersport. In other words, it had all the power I'd ever want. I loved the riding position, the power, the fuel injection, the highway demeanor....everything. But everyone's different. Go find a bike that's comfortable to you (don't be dilusional about your ability to lay down on a bike for long rides...if you can't be comfortable that way, don't say "I could get used to it"). Get a bike that you love for more than just the power.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your first step would be to go visit your Kaw dealership and sit on everything that appeals to you. I loved the IDEA of a supersport, but when I sat on them, I quickly realized that there was no way I could ride that way long term. For kicks, I sat on a ZX14...that gave me a big laugh. All that power between your legs must be an incredible experience, but the riding position is an acquired taste.

I'm not a total speed freak, so my 650R fit all my needs perfectly. It'll raise the front wheel when prodded to do so, but it requires more prodding than a supersport. In other words, it had all the power I'd ever want. I loved the riding position, the power, the fuel injection, the highway demeanor....everything. But everyone's different. Go find a bike that's comfortable to you (don't be dilusional about your ability to lay down on a bike for long rides...if you can't be comfortable that way, don't say "I could get used to it"). Get a bike that you love for more than just the power.
Hey, thanks for the response. I went and sat/saw a 09 650r today. Wasn't too bad. It was parked next to a 09 250 ( which is what i have).. Night and day on size, that got me very excited.
But it got me thinking, you think that i'd be ok on a CBR 600? I love the style and look of the CBR.. But do i really need all that power? Im not really a 100+ mph kind of guy. I like back roads and scenery.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just looking for a good next upgrade from my 250r. Any suggestions?
I want to do twisties, back roads, commuting. No Tracks

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got a thread going here on the differences I'm noticing between the 2008 250 and the 2009 650R:
Next Gen 250R comparo to the new 650R - RiderForums.com Community

If the money is an issue I would highly suggest sticking with the 250 as it has so many advantages over the bigger bike, like light weight, large margin for error with the throttle, cool storage space, narrow width, and available ZG touring windscreen.

If money isn't an issue then the extra power, fuel injection and more comfortable seat make the 650R a great upgrade. It's got all the power most will ever need.

·
Gotta love the zx10
235 Posts
One major seller for me is appearance. Sit down and think of what bike you really want next. Don't get a bike if you keep debating if you want that one or not. Take some time and pick the one you absolutely want right now. Worst thing that can happen is later down the road you may want something else so you will sell it. I got my first bike cause it was a good deal and I had to rebuild it but it rocked and always said I will upgrade to a certain bike.. so I found one and last sunday bought it :p

good luck. post pics when you decide which bike your gettin! we really like pics

1 - 9 of 9 Posts