Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Playday Rider
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I'm considering upgrading. Just thought I'd try and get some feedback from you. What can I expect in going from a vulcan 900 to one of the 1700 bikes ( nomad or voyager )? I really like the way the 900 handles on back roads, but want something a little more solid on the freeways without losing too much in the way of maneuverability on the back roads.

Any comments to this?

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I have a 900Lt and have ridden the 1600 Nomad. You'll gain a very comfortable ride!! And the 1600 still handled well. I would imagine the 1700 would be about the same.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Hello all
I'm considering upgrading. Just thought I'd try and get some feedback from you. What can I expect in going from a vulcan 900 to one of the 1700 bikes ( nomad or voyager )? I really like the way the 900 handles on back roads, but want something a little more solid on the freeways without losing too much in the way of maneuverability on the back roads.

Any comments to this?
just remember to try the 1700 Classic as well. There's quite the difference between the Classic and the Nomad (or CT as it is called over here, Classic Tourer).

·
Playday Rider
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just remember to try the 1700 Classic as well. There's quite the difference between the Classic and the Nomad (or CT as it is called over here, Classic Tourer).
What should be the difference in the way they handle (the classic and the nomad)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was at a dealership this weekend in town and sat on a 1700 classic. I'm not a huge guy. 5'7" and this thing was heavy and cumbersome. Nothing at all like the V2k.
For that reason alone I would have to think twice before buying one.
Reminded me of the Yami RoadStar.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
What should be the difference in the way they handle (the classic and the nomad)
Not handling but seating position. I haven't ridden any of them, but I've tried to sit on them both and I experienced them being quite different (Classic is lower and more laid back while the nomad was higher and hand/arm position more like the Voyager (which I've ridden)). Handling, I guess, would be pretty much the same.

edit: Actually, I now remembered that I do have ridden the Classic, but not the Nomad. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
The 1700 has a higher seat height than the 1600 and the V2K. I noticed that immediately. But a Mustang would more than likely drop you down a bit. The 1700's wheelbase is shorter than the 1600's, closer to my 1500's, which I'd think would make it better handling than the 1600.

I really like the look of the 1600. If I were trading up today I'd find a leftover 1600. But having spent $4k on accessories for my '06 1500 I think I'll be keeping it for awhile.

Kawi is offering some serious rebates right now: $1,500 on leftover 1500 Classics, $1,600 on leftover 1600 Classics and Nomads, and $1,700 on 2009 1700s. Good time to buy.

windman

·
Registered
388 Posts
Upgrade, you have already talked yourself into it. Nomad is a great way to go and if you want to travel across the country then you have the equipment to launch. Voyager if you plan on living on the bike for weeks at a time.

·
Playday Rider
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yes, I forgot to tell you I love my 06 Nomad with 31K.
Did you have a smaller kawasaki before this? How does the nomad handle on twisties and back roads? I really like my vulcan 900 classic lt because its' so nimble. I don't want to lose that, or at least lose too much of that.

·
Playday Rider
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was at a dealership this weekend in town and sat on a 1700 classic. I'm not a huge guy. 5'7" and this thing was heavy and cumbersome. Nothing at all like the V2k.
For that reason alone I would have to think twice before buying one.
Reminded me of the Yami RoadStar.
Is the y2k the vulcan 2000? Did you mean by this that the 2000 is a lot bulkier than the 1700 bikes

·
Playday Rider
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kawi is offering some serious rebates right now: $1,500 on leftover 1500 Classics, $1,600 on leftover 1600 Classics and Nomads, and $1,700 on 2009 1700s. Good time to buy.

windman
Good Stuff. Thanks Windman.I didn't know about these rebates. I've been looking at the prices of the 2010's and I'm wondering why the prices are up so much for the new ones? The retail price looks like it's about $1500 over the 09's. Did they improve them that much? I can't see much in the way of changes in the 10's over the 09's or 08's. If there aren't any major changes then it certainly would be worth my while to consider an 08 or 09.

Thanks for that input.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is the y2k the vulcan 2000? Did you mean by this that the 2000 is a lot bulkier than the 1700 bikes
I think he meant the 1700 felt heavy, and that was my initial impression too. The V2K is a wide sucker, but its seat height is so low that it feels lighter than it really is. Still too big for me.

windman

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good Stuff. Thanks Windman.I didn't know about these rebates. I've been looking at the prices of the 2010's and I'm wondering why the prices are up so much for the new ones? The retail price looks like it's about $1500 over the 09's. Did they improve them that much? I can't see much in the way of changes in the 10's over the 09's or 08's. If there aren't any major changes then it certainly would be worth my while to consider an 08 or 09.

Thanks for that input.
I think the only change is the new heat shield, haven't heard of any others. But if you buy an '09 model Kawi will send you the heat shield and your dealer is supposed to install it free of charge. The price increase has to do mostly with the exchange rate...

BTW, I saw an '09 1700 Classic last night on CycleTrader for $9,000 (dealership in Maryland). $9,000! The same dealership has a 1700 Nomad for $10,600 and a leftover '07 1600 for $7,000. I'm sure tempted to haul my 1500down and come back with one of those. But then I'd have to buy all my accessories all over again ($4k) and that's not going to happen. Besides, I'm happy with my 1500. It's only when I'm on the computer at 1am that I start having thoughts of another bike.

windman

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Hey tooeagle... I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago, and like you, wanted to keep the nimbleness of the 900, but more comfort and more power.

I looked seriously at the 1700 LT (I really wanted to stay with Kawi) and it just didn't feel like it would be nimble. Comfortable, yes, but more like a full size cadillac, not so much a nimble & comfortable ride. I ended up with a V-Star 1300 Tourer, and am very happy with it... well balanced, plenty of power, smooth at all speeds, and as nimble as the 900 IMO... just another option to look at, if you're interested.

·
Nomad Rider
454 Posts
I agree with Vulcan dude. Don't hinge your bets on just one make or model. Try them all. They are all hurting for business. You should be able to get a heck of a deal out there. I myself have a Nomad and my wife has a 900. She rides my Nomad all the time with no problems. What ever you buy, after a while you should grow into it, so go with more power then you think you can handle and after a while you'll be looking for more power!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes, the Y2k is the Vulcan 2000cc. I'm sure they both weigh alot. ( haven't got the specs in front of me ) But the Y2k has a lower center of gravity and is wayyyy easier to get off the kickstand. No doubt that it would be just as hard to pick up as the 1700 but the seat height seems lower on the Y2k as well. ( I have a friend with one and have rode it around the block a few times ) All in all, I would be going for the Y2k before the 1700. IMHO!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes, the Y2k is the Vulcan 2000cc. I'm sure they both weigh alot. ( haven't got the specs in front of me ) But the Y2k has a lower center of gravity and is wayyyy easier to get off the kickstand. No doubt that it would be just as hard to pick up as the 1700 but the seat height seems lower on the Y2k as well. ( I have a friend with one and have rode it around the block a few times ) All in all, I would be going for the Y2k before the 1700. IMHO!
I think you mean V2k. Haha, Y2k was the big computer problem associated with 2 digit dates.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I would have to agree with scooterdude, I think the V2K (V as in Vulcan, 2K as in 2000) is a little better balanced IMO than the 1700, I actually felt better sitting on a V2K than the 1700, but everyone's different... sit on (and test, if you can) any bike you're interested in. What matters is how it feels to YOU.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Did you have a smaller kawasaki before this? How does the nomad handle on twisties and back roads? I really like my vulcan 900 classic lt because its' so nimble. I don't want to lose that, or at least lose too much of that.
i started on a 900lt...just traded her for a 1600 nomad last yr....imo the nomad handles every bit as good as the 900 through the twisties......

1 - 20 of 71 Posts