Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to not ride all year!!
I went over to a friends house over the weekend to drill out his pipes on his
'95 "Nastalga" Heritage (beautiful bike BTW). I pull up in the van (it was 21degrees out) andhe comes out to meet me saying "You have no excuse for not bringing your bike!!" now, I dont mind the cold. If I had the gloves, I'd ride that low, but my gloves only allow me to go about 30 miles as low as maybe the upper 20's. not lower 20's. anywhoo. he keeps saying I got no excuse and leads me to the garage.
Upon walking in the garage he points to his desk, with a HOG magazine sitting there, opened to what I just couldnt believe. and says "theres no excuse!!"

I tried riding with mittens once. didnt like it. I give this guy credit, LOTS of it.
he's what I call I diehard!!!
my first concern would be salt, but another guy at work, who is from S.D., said they dont use salt out there, just lots of sand.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
to not ride all year!!
I went over to a friends house over the weekend to drill out his pipes on his
'95 "Nastalga" Heritage (beautiful bike BTW). I pull up in the van (it was 21degrees out) andhe comes out to meet me saying "You have no excuse for not bringing your bike!!" now, I dont mind the cold. If I had the gloves, I'd ride that low, but my gloves only allow me to go about 30 miles as low as maybe the upper 20's. not lower 20's. anywhoo. he keeps saying I got no excuse and leads me to the garage.
Upon walking in the garage he points to his desk, with a HOG magazine sitting there, opened to what I just couldnt believe. and says "theres no excuse!!"

I tried riding with mittens once. didnt like it. I give this guy credit, LOTS of it.
he's what I call I diehard!!!
my first concern would be salt, but another guy at work, who is from S.D., said they dont use salt out there, just lots of sand.

Salt is where I draw the line. I rode with my last bike in it and was horrible to get off, especially when you couldn't use the garden hose.

Now if I had a street / trail bike too.....................

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Cold isn't the issue for me. We get too much gravel and salt on the road during the Winter here. Last year we had a stretch in the low single digits long before the snow came and I was still riding then. :)

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,197 Posts
Cold isn't the issue for me. We get too much gravel and salt on the road during the Winter here. Last year we had a stretch in the low single digits long before the snow came and I was still riding then. :)
While the cold isn't necassarily an issue with me, it is a big issue with my tires.....and I guess to some extent my body. Your fingers get cold, unkown to you, and when you need to use them in an emergency...you find they just don't work.

Yeh, not to mention the gravel on the road.....and the fools in cars who want to kill us at the best of times, and now have even less control over their 5000+ pound instruments of mayhem.

No way you could regularly ride safely around these parts, in the mountains, in the winter.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
What is his "Cross Bones" he says he gave himself as a present? A jacket?
Never mind...it must be his bike.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Yeh, not to mention the gravel on the road.....and the fools in cars who want to kill us at the best of times, and now have even less control over their 5000+ pound instruments of mayhem.
It's South Dakota...they have a population density of roughly 10 people per square mile! Not too many cars to worry about. :)

What is his "Cross Bones" he says he gave himself as a present? A jacket?
Never mind...it must be his bike.
It is. HD Cross Bones.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I was raised in SD (the other side of the state from this gent) and I used to ride quite a bit during the winter. It was with a dirt bike however and I stayed in the ditches most of the time. Packed snow is just as bad as ice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.