Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New 2008 Ninja 250R

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you guys probably hear this all the time. I'm pretty new to riding. i want good bike to start with. So im looken for the best bike for me. I'm 6'2 and 160Lbs.i saw th 08 250R and was pretty sure i was gonna get.then my came over and i told him and showed him.Then he made an offer that i can't get out of my mind.by the way, My brother Bought a 07 ZZR600 and put a few mods on it.It fell over (he put the kick stand down in soft sand) it has 4500 miles on it.i told him i was looken for a bike and he said "i ll sell you mine Just Take Over payments, Ill eat the rest". so is that a good bike to start out on or should i go for the 250R.by the way what do ZZR's get MPG wise?i read that the 250R gets around 60+ MPG i can't find anything on the ZZR and my brother wasn't any help.He said i get like 20 cuz im all was on it. sense hes always on it does that mean the the motor is a lil abused?PLEASE HELP ME

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Tough call. It depends on lots factors, including what kind of riding you plan on, how much $$$ you wanna spend, how damaged the ZZR is.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
It is your bro? Get the bike off him...That is cheap. Learn at a slower pace and you will be fine. Just be smart and responsible with it. I do not think your bike would offer you up a bike that would kill you...You will do that the bike won't.

Screw the learning on a bike...Let's get down to the finances...How much is paid off? What is the total you will be paying in the end? Is he carrying the bill while you pay or is it being transferred? Give me numbers son...Because if you pay it off and it is 6K then that is not a deal...If it is only 3k then it is a steal.

·
ATGATT
2,227 Posts
I'm getting the new 250 R, but I would say to go with the ZZR in this case. The only reason I say that is because as you ride it and get more experience, you may want to quickly move up from a 250. But the 600 will allow you to have more fun on it for longer. You'll just have to be a little safer when starting out riding. It has a little more power than that of a 250.
I'm just getting the 2k8 250 R based solely on gas mileage and looks. If they would have kept the old styling, I would have gone for something else.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Get the bike from your brother and be very careful and respectful of the power of the bike while you are learning.

If you decide to go the 250 route, you'll get a better deal by finding a used one to buy. You won't ride it more than a year before you are confident in riding and want to move up. No sense losing money on the depreciation on an 08 when there are lots of good used ones around.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Buy a used 250. You won't lose any money on it when you sell it after a season or two. Spend your money on good gear and save towards a zzr in the near future. Make sure you take the MSF course, and maybe a little later the experienced course.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Don't take anybodys comments on here to heart, we only offer guidance and suggestions. Don't feel obligated to buy your bros bike either, so he can get out of the sport. But if thats what you want, then I guess that's what you will do. Just be careful whatever you decide and have fun and be safe. This can be a life long hobby.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Don't take anybodys comments on here to heart, we only offer guidance and suggestions. Don't feel obligated to buy your bros bike either, so he can get out of the sport. But if thats what you want, then I guess that's what you will do. Just be careful whatever you decide and have fun and be safe. This can be a life long hobby.
That is response of the day...That is the advice that counts...Get what you want and be safe.

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
JESUS! Tell me you're 12 becuase I can't read your post. If your older, you're the first person, above 12, I've ever seen that has typed without spacing after your periods. Also, your grammar is brutal and obviously you've made your decision and don't care what we say, or else you would have took the time to write a decent post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NCDave
theres $6,500 left to pay on his bike.

alec
Alec have you ever taken an English class? typing i just like writing spaces after periods is proper English.

1sportbikerider
not yet but im going to next month.

I gonna be using it for around town.

·
Registered
15 Posts
kurt - i have an 07 ZZR600 and this is my first bike ever. I like it and feel it will last me a long time. I'm pretty level headed so I doubt I'll be abusing the power (make sure you have a similar mindset).

However I have to say that I'm curious about your deal though. $6,500 left on the bike is ok but you also said he dropped it. Is there damage? How much damage is there? Also what are the financing terms? Decent interest rate? If it has a good amount of damage or bad financing then the deal might not be as good as you think.

I got my 07 ZZR600 with 2K miles for $5000 through Craigslist - so there are good deals to be had. Plus this is the time to buy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
NCDave

alec
Alec have you ever taken an English class? typing i just like writing spaces after periods is proper English.

1sportbikerider

You are pretty new to riding. What does that mean?

Depending on if there is damage, that may not be such a great deal. How did your bro take care of it?

- edit - assuming you are putting it in your name, the financing will go off of your credit not his.

·
Registered
413 Posts
NCDave

alec

1sportbikerider

I bought mine new for 6500, so i would saybuy a ZZR new.

Good Luck and be very careful!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The '08 250 is sexy. That's what I'd do. You want it for around town and that's what it's made for.

Buy it outright and by the time you're ready to move up and sell it you'll get 80% of what you paid for it, guaranteed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought a new 06 ZZR. With easy riding I could get in the low 50 to 55 mpg. If I was hard on it half of the time it would drop down into the high 30s. It's awfully hard to hurt a jap bike running it hard.
The 250 would be a good start bike, the 600 is a lot of power for a first bike. If you did it the right way you should buy a used 250. When the 08s hit the street the 07s and down will be very cheap. Ride the used bike for a year or two and then sell it.
Check ur insurance out. That my be the deciding factor for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts