Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to buy a used 98 500r with 3000 miles on it and was just wondering what maintance to do when I get the bike just so I have a peace of mind knowing its been done. Change the oil, filter, lube the chain?? I never worked on a bike before but I do my own work on cars so im not that bad at workin on engines etc.. How do you go about lube the chain with what brand or kind of lube(spray, oil)??

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Be sure the chain is clean first.....you can use WD-40 on a rag to wipe off the grime and then ride the bike for 10 - 15 miuntes to heat up the chain. Then spray the chain with chain wax...you can buy it at most cycle shops. Don't over do it....but be sure to apply it evenly. I do this and then let the bike sit overnight before riding as that will help keep grime to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Masterkiller500 said:
Im about to buy a used 98 500r with 3000 miles on it and was just wondering what maintance to do when I get the bike just so I have a peace of mind knowing its been done. Change the oil, filter, lube the chain?? I never worked on a bike before but I do my own work on cars so im not that bad at workin on engines etc.. How do you go about lube the chain with what brand or kind of lube(spray, oil)??
1. Coolant
2. New plugs
3. New brake fluid
4. Either OEM or upgrade to stainless steel brakelines - I'd go SS they are
lifetime replacements. vs every 2-3 years.
5. Check your fuel line for cracking - replace if necessary. I'd just do it.
6. Same with your radiator hoses.
7. Ck your tires
8. Ck condition of your fork seals and shock.

Not in any particular order and in addition to what you already mentioned.

To clean the chain I like the Motorex chain cleaner, but you can use kerosene if you have some and then oil or wax your chain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when you say oil for the chain, just regular oil like mobil 1 10w-30 or is there some special kind. haha i bet thats the stupidest question ever about using mobil 1 on it, dont kill me im a newbie lol.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Masterkiller500 said:
when you say oil for the chain, just regular oil like mobil 1 10w-30 or is there some special kind. haha i bet thats the stupidest question ever about using mobil 1 on it, dont kill me im a newbie lol.
There are chain lubes and chain waxes (both lubricate). They are motorcycle specific, you can get them at your local dealership or at about a million places online.

·
Registered
607 Posts
A '98 with only 3,000 miles? I'd be looking for the signs of neglect!
Rust in the tank?
Battery holding a charge?
Coolant, fuel and vaccuum hoses not leaking or cracked?
At 3,000 miles, you still don't even have to worry about a valve adjustment yet, let alone chain & sprockets.
Take along a flashlight, a ****py set of clothes to wear so you don't mind laying down in some hill-billy's oily driveway and a couple of clean paper towels. Look the bike over closely, and look him dead in the eye when you ask him if the bike has been down, if the title is clean, and why he (or she) is selling it.
That's a great bike (my dream bike right now). Good luck with her!
-Calamari Chris in Carlsbad, CA

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when he started it up, it sounded nice, no missing or unusual sounds, only thing wrong with the bike is he had it outside tryin to sell it and told me it fell over thats why the mirror is broke on it and the gas tank has a dent the size of a dime not even but other then that the paint and body on this bike is as good as they come. I checked around the engine, frame etc.. didnt see no damage or stratches and the only thing. I asked him if it was ever dropped by him and he said no. The kid told me he bought it from a local shop used and by the looks of it i believe him.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
It's believeable....I bought my 1981 Yamaha 650 Special II from my neighbor last year and it had 3200 miles on it. He was divorced in 1985 and put it storage until I bought it from him. Of course...I had to replece the tires...chain & sproket...battery...and have the carbs done....and other than that....it's like a new bike. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts