Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a used Ninja 500 for sale at a dealer 1 mile from my house. It is a '97 model and looks pretty good.

I am considering this for my first bike. I have been driving fast cars for years, but want to move into sport bikes. The bike hobby is cheaper than the car hobby, and bikes are just plain cool.

What should I look for in a used bike? What are the problem areas for these bikes, and what kinds of maintenance items must I check were done?

I am taking my MSF course on Dec 4th and 5th and will get my license shorty after. I want to be legal when I ride. If I buy the '97, it'll just sit at my house until I'm ready. It's so close, I could just push it home.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am in the same position. Should I get a new 500R or a used 500R? I have access to both and both have their own pluses.

If I am to buy a used bike from the dealer in town, it is already broken in and cheaper. This helps both my pocket book and I also dont have to put up with staying under 4000 rpm for 500 miles. There is also one on ebay which I am looking to buy. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4500820082&category=50019. This is in Dallas, so it is a little bit more difficult to get my hands on (200 miles away) to both check out and get to my house. On the otherhand it is much cheaper than the used bike at the dealership.

If I end up getting a new one, I can finance it for a lower APR (3.9%) and I know for a fact that it isnt screwed up like the used ones may be. The financing will help me build credit (something an 18 year old just doesnt have, yet) and it will force me to get a job as well (a good thing for me). The major problem with this is that the bikes are $4,595 sticker price and after tax and titles, they will likely be nearly $5,000.

So what should I do? I dont quite know which one to choose. This will be my first bike, but I have already taken the MSF course and I have a fairly good grasp of motorcycles now, so I dont think dropping it or crashing it is a major issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought a new 05 500r for 4450 +tax/title. It's a great bike - but I was bored with it in a month, and to trade it for a 636 (What I want :p) would mean losing almost 2 grand. If you're looking for a starter bike, it's a good choice, but buy used. If you want it as long term, then buy new. It's a good beginner bike but it has enough power to cruise on the highway and get into some fun acceleration.

Since I bought mine new, I'll probably keep it for another year or two - but I wish I would've bought used, or a 250.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i just bought a 05 500r and was wondering if there r cams for it cuz i havent found any yet and which ones

·
Registered
105 Posts
sickevan said:
Skip the 500 go to a six youll want to trade it in after a week

hey buddy thats not how your suppose to start out... your gonna windup killing yourself. You have to learn the basics of motorcycling when on a smaller bike.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
black500r said:
i just bought a 05 500r and was wondering if there r cams for it cuz i havent found any yet and which ones
http://www.megacyclecams.com/

Call to see if theres will fit your 05

http://webcamshafts.com/

The simpler way to open up power on your 500 is a full system pipe with larger carbs or rejetting the current carbs. (jet kit) I think your carbs are CVK34 - go to flatside carbs 36mm.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I forgot about this place by me house. I would call them first.

www.zxzone.com

They specialize in Kawis.

You can always go with larger pistons to output more power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts