Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
This snow has got to go!
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine for his meanstreak backed into and tipped over... messed up the gas tank.

We have been looking on ebay for a used gas tank and they have several but ALL of them are all dented and smashed up. What i dont get is how these guys can be asking for $250 - $300 for these tanks

I talked to a guy who has been doing body work for like 20 years and he said that motorcycle gas tanks are really hard to work on because if the metal is creased you cant form it out with a hammer and hand anvil because you can only get to one side.

Anybody have any ideas, aside from shelling out $1,000 for a new one from Kawasaki?

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Not sure how bad is the damage but a friend of mine dropped his bike and dented his tank in two differente areas. On the way back we stoped at a local autoparts and he purchased a dent repair kit I recommended. You can't even tell the tank was dented at one point! and it only took about 20 min of our time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cant you just cut the tank in half? fix the dent, then reweld and finish or would that end up costing more?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts