Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordinarily, I get to ride enough that I don't have to do this, but through no fault of my own I haven't been able to ride for over a month. I want to hook up the battery tender on my 900. Owner's manual says to remove the battery. Can't I just hook up the clamps to the battery while it's still in the bike?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most battery tenders have a choice of harnesses to use, including one that mounts to the battery. The charger plugs in to this harness w/out requiring the removal of anything on the bike. Good luck with it.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,870 Posts
You can connect the battery tender to the battery while the battery is still connected on the bike, but make absolutely certain that the polarity is correct before switching on the tender. Otherwise there can be extensive and expensive damage to the bike's electrical system - blown ECU, diodes, etc.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I haven't had the need to use the battery tender on my bike but at least once a week I use it on my ATV with the batterie still plug in it. As long as the connectors are well secure then you shouldn't have any issues.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
I have had my battery on the workbench hooked u pto the tender for 2 weeks.Looks like it will be there for quite some time.I hate winter and snow and cold and salt. All I want to do is ride:frown:

·
I miss you, Deron
19,766 Posts
I keep my bike hooked up to a tender all winter. The connections are permanently attached to my battery. Then it's a simple matter of just plugging it in.

I *did* take my battery out and hook up the tender to it this past year, but that was because the bike was in storage while we were between houses. We weren't sure how long our bikes would be in storage, so we thought it was best to take the batteries out of the bikes and keep them charged.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
i am with ya T! I have the tender on my 900lt also and we have 4 inches of show on the ground, UGH!
woke up to another 1 1/2" of snow this morning.3 days in a row of shoveling now i need a new shovel.The edge is all chewed up.cheap plastic piece of #!#!#
I lost my permanent plug in cause my last bike had the battery under the left side panel for easy hook up.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
I have a battery tender on mine as well (permanently attached). And, we have 20" of snow on the ground here-- thanks to a nice Christmas storm. Thank <insert deity of choice> for snowblowers!

·
living in 3/4 time
321 Posts
Don't bother with a battery tender. After the winter is over take you car battery out flip it upside down and place the contacts on your motorcycle battery, then fire it up. Then put your car battery back in your car. It will fire up fine and you won't have wasted money on a battery tender. :p

·
Nobody Home
1,770 Posts
I disconnect one battery cable, leave the battery in the bike and charge it one day a week. Optimate 3 instead of a Battery Tender. Bike gets one day, the mower gets one day. Unfortunately it will be that way till usually April. Snow sucks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Don't bother with a battery tender. After the winter is over take you car battery out flip it upside down and place the contacts on your motorcycle battery, then fire it up. Then put your car battery back in your car. It will fire up fine and you won't have wasted money on a battery tender. :p
Buhahahaha!:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
:cool: Same deal only different circumstances!!! Tender is the only way to go....lawn tractor is in the shed for the winter and battery is in it hooked up to a tender and have a tender pigtail for my snowmobile also so all i have to do is pull her in the shed and hook it up and no worries!:biggrin:
I keep my bike hooked up to a tender all winter. The connections are permanently attached to my battery. Then it's a simple matter of just plugging it in.

I *did* take my battery out and hook up the tender to it this past year, but that was because the bike was in storage while we were between houses. We weren't sure how long our bikes would be in storage, so we thought it was best to take the batteries out of the bikes and keep them charged.

·
Lookin' for a sunny day!
56 Posts
I 've never used a battery tender on the 7 1/2 years I've had my bike and it's still on the original battery. Now I'll admit I'm on the coast in NorCal and while we get frost and 4 feet of rain a year, it's not near as bad as you guys have it back east and up north. Still, I usually don't ride for about 3-4 months every year, and she still cranks over every time just like new, knock on wood. I'll listen to any advice on what might be a better course of action. Happy New Year, everyone!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.