Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My Vance & Hines Dual Baggers heat shield have been rattling lately. I took off the heat shields and found several of the tabs that the clamps loop through have broken one or both mount points.

Has anyone experienced this and resolved it short of buying a new shield?

I contacted Vance & Hines and they'll sell me one, but could be two months out as they "have to make it."

I sure hope someone has some great ideas to get me back on the road soon! I've got a road trip coming up. Thanks to all!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Same here with my Bigshots.
They had no interest in even discussing a warranty replacement, but would be happy to sell me a new shield (for ONE of the two pipes) for $200... the entire SET was only $450.

I just put a stainless hose clamp on the outside to hold it in place.

Glad I didn't buy another shield because a few months later I broke an exhaust stud. Replaced the stud and the pipes wouldn't bolt up... turned out they were warped.

I kept them for a while, then decided to remove the quiet baffles to sell, but the screws broke... ended up trashing the entire $550.
Went out the next morning and someone had taken them from the dumpster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
brazing on new clamps is ome option but it will discolor the crome.most of it will come off with a good crome polish.take your time and good luck

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
brazing on new clamps is ome option but it will discolor the crome.most of it will come off with a good crome polish.take your time and good luck
....and worse come to worse, you could have a local shop rechrome them after the weld repair. Still would be less than buying a new shield but not by a whole bunch either.

Bob

·
Registered
389 Posts
Guess I'm not alone on this one...

I recently put new Dunlop Roadsmarts on the Marauder and at the same time added a PCIII along with the Thunder "S & S" style air kit. In the process I pulled my V&H Big Shots off to get them out of the way and make for some easier detailing.

Big surpise one of the clamps was rattling around and doing nothing. The others seem to be ok for now but it appears a known potential issue. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for future developments.

For what it is worth I really like the new tires and the better breathing bike!!

Ride safe and often!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an update that I'd like to share with you all!

I called Vance & Hines back today and they are going to help me out with this part at almost a 50% savings. Since I'd likely pay that much to have it re-brased or TIG welded, I am going for the new part.

Scott from Vance & Hines cutomer service told me that anyone having this issue should call them to discuss it.

He gave me figures on the number of shield parts sold / warrantied for the last several years on the "Dual Baggers." Basically the numbers come out to WAY less than 1%. So I'm feeling confident that the new one will hold up or if not, they will take care of me again.

Way to go Vance & Hines!

Keep riding!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Sounds like the economy is pinching them and they're starting to realize they need to take care of their customers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts