Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
With great power comes...
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have asked before and everyone has been very helpful.

From my understanding I can JUST put pipes on my Nomad period.?

If I open up the air filter then I MUST; PCII or Powercommander it also drop the marble in

What am I gaining/losing from not doing everything vs. doing everything?

I have heard people saying their MPG dropped after doing all of it

All I am looking for is a little noise from the bike

Once again,

Confused

Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
If all you want is some more sound putting pipes on will do the trick. I would suggest the marble mod when you do to reduce the backfire on decel. The pipes don't really cause the backfire but they won't muffle it like the stock pipes do. If you open up the air intake system also you will see a bigger gain in performance when coupled with the free flowing exhaust. At that point you need to do something to modify the fuel injection to add more fuel to mix with that extra air. I went with a V&H Propipe and the Cadmann mod on my '05 1500 and noticed a nice performance gain and my mileage is about the same as before.

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I read here that the "marble" ONLY gets done when you open it up, NOT just for pipes?

Do I really need a performance gain on a Nomad? It is not like I ma going down the highway looking for more out of my bike, now a 1500 or 1600 I can see it, but I am a bagger guy just lugging down the road.

·
Registered
409 Posts
When I first did "just pipes" I had backfires and the marbles fixed it. Marble mod is extremely quick, easy, and cheap. Only YOU can decide if YOU want a performance gain or not. It is certainly not a necessity.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Marble mod. Check it out at Gadgets site. By the way Gadgets site is a must for all Vulcan owners.

Smog Stuff Removal

·
Does anyone read these?
173 Posts
I just put HardKrome Strippers on my 900 with no other mods. Bike runs great with an ocassional pop. Like you, I'm not interested in performance gains, but was tired of my buddies asking "are you gonna start it up?" Being able to hear your bike is a good thing.

·
Ordinary Biker
15 Posts
K & N 9 X 2.75 in. air mod on right side only, with V & H big shots and PCIII
(m215-009) map on my MS 2005: big change on power but about the same on gas milage...

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Personally I think a PCIII is a good thing even if the bike is otherwise stock. It's a must if you open up the intake. I like the reed block-off plates (Muzzy's) and removing the useless air injection plumbing.
My experience has been that just adding just a Baron's BAK there was no need for adding new EFI modules (see dyno sticky). The gain is more hp/torque AND a throater sound. The bike will run as smooth as if you were running stock. You can really hear the bike sucking in that air. So if you are just looking for LOUD, then add the pipes. Testing by Cruiser Mag on just adding pipes has been that at best the hp/torque stays the same, or worse, and as they say you really need dyno the bike to get it right.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
im outta the loop here what is the marble mod?
You can study gadget's site or just study this thread -pretty good pic and discussion of the marble mod: http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...ors-caddman-air-mod-tutorial-56k-warning.html

All you do is stick a marble in the little hose that recirculates the exhaust gases to reduce emmissions -by doing this you are pretty much defeating the air polution plumbing on the Vulcans. This in turn will tend to prevent backfiring with more open pipes. Main advantage of the marble trick is that it can easily be removed to return the bike to stock, not so easy if you go with the more drastic approach of removing and blocking the stock polution controls...

·
Patriot Guard Rider
967 Posts
I added the V&H Longshots to my 1500 Classic without making any other modifications and have had no problems. Fuel economy is basically the same and I've not had to do the marbling either. Got out for a 2 hour ride today and I just luv those Longshots.

Charles

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I thought I read here that the "marble" ONLY gets done when you open it up, NOT just for pipes?
No performance change with the marble. The marble mod should be done with pipes, as it reduces/eliminates popping on decel.

People lose MPG for two reasons... they enjoy the sound and power and USE it, and many fuel processors, including the Cobra Fi2000, come with default setting that are WAY too rich.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You've got it on the head Rich.... when you get the pipes, the enhanced intake and the powercommander... you can't help but use it. My mileage varies as much as 10mpgs depending on how I drive. The 'afterfire' as I was so directly corrected when I got my V2K dynotuned, will be eliminated when you have a truly certified tech do the mapping and adjustments for the powercommander. Even with that said, it will still run rich just for the sake of that extra power. I say go for it all.... if you get the power and you just don't seem to think it's necessay or worth the $..... I know a good therapist.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
... and many fuel processors, including the Cobra Fi2000, come with default setting that are WAY too rich.
This is quite true. For example, if folks use the prescribed map for a 1600 Nomad with V&H pipes as provided with the Power Commander CD -you will feel the power increase as it does indeed work.

BUT you will also smell the huge fuel dump it provides on decel. Then if you study the map using the PC software you will quickly see what's up, if the RPMs are anywhere above idle AND the throttle position is in the zero position (i.e. you are decellerating as you shift down) the map dumps a 30% fuel increase in that condition :eek:

First ride I took with that map, I thought I had a huge fuel leak as it smelled like my lawn mower after a clutzy fillup :mrgreen:

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
First ride I took with that map, I thought I had a huge fuel leak as it smelled like my lawn mower after a clutzy fillup :mrgreen:
Did you ever get the fuel dilution issue in your used oil reports resolved?

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No performance change with the marble. The marble mod should be done with pipes, as it reduces/eliminates popping on decel.

People lose MPG for two reasons... they enjoy the sound and power and USE it, and many fuel processors, including the Cobra Fi2000, come with default setting that are WAY too rich.
I was wanting for you to chime in as always, thanks
So Rich I do add the marble EVEN with just adding the pipes?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I was wanting for you to chime in as always, thanks
So Rich I do add the marble EVEN with just adding the pipes?
Yes.
The popping on decel is there right now, but you can't hear it through the catalytic convertor and stock mufflers.

The AIR system is literally an exhaust leak with a reed valve that only allows air to enter the exhaust. The idea is to introduce fresh oxygen to allow any unburned hydrocarbons to complete burning in the headpipe while they are still hot enough to burn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts