Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's front tire time. I went to the darkside with a Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 205/60-16 and wonder if anyone has input for front tires. I'm leaning towards the Metzeler ME 880 Marathon but I loved my Dunlop Elite 3 Touring on my GoldWings. My Nomad had a Dunlop D404 which was good. A Michelin Commander Cruiser is also on my consider list. Any suggestions?

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
I didn't care for the Marathon or the OEM Bridgejunk. Have been running the Dunlop D251 Radial on mine and like it. Have 4,500 miles on it now and it handles the rain well with great cornering.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Pirelli MT 66 rear tire, mount it with the arrow backwards. Great combo with a darkside rear.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Pirelli MT 66 rear tire, mount it with the arrow backwards. Great combo with a darkside rear.
Is that the combo you are using Shawn, and, if so, how many miles have you got on it?

Any cupping issues at all?

·
Long live the V2K!
593 Posts
I know Utahmotorcyclist went to the darkside with his Nomad and put a rear tire on the front turned around backwards. I think he used a Metzler. Whichever tire he used, he called the tire company and asked about a rear tire mounted on the front which they said was perfectly fine as long as it's turned around backwards. The advantage is that rear tires have allot more tread and therefore last longer. Hopefully he'll see this thread and chime in with his opinion.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Is that the combo you are using Shawn, and, if so, how many miles have you got on it?

Any cupping issues at all?
I've got maybe 1000 on the front. No cupping yet, but I wouldn't expect it either. This tire has a much more solid tread design than the OEM's that I ran on the front, I think it will resist cupping a lot better. So far I like the handling and the ride though.

I have run 2 Battlax's on the front, the original and a second that came with an extra rim (I got a new rim with tire, never ridden, for $120 on ebay, LOL). Both cupped very badly while still having over half tread.

I think I got the tire suggestion on the Delphi Darkside forum.

·
Registered
935 Posts
It's front tire time. I went to the darkside with a Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 205/60-16 and wonder if anyone has input for front tires. I'm leaning towards the Metzeler ME 880 Marathon but I loved my Dunlop Elite 3 Touring on my GoldWings. My Nomad had a Dunlop D404 which was good. A Michelin Commander Cruiser is also on my consider list. Any suggestions?
Sunshine, not to hijack, but what bags do you have on your V2K? Like em, hate em, install your self, install easy, install hard, anything you would change. I have been looking for bags for mine and had some ordred but they jacked around so long I canceled the order and am now considering a trailer rather than bags. Again, sorry for the hijack.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
I've got maybe 1000 on the front. No cupping yet, but I wouldn't expect it either. This tire has a much more solid tread design than the OEM's that I ran on the front, I think it will resist cupping a lot better. So far I like the handling and the ride though.
Is it possible the rear on front combo just works better with the dark because if how much less crown the rears have? Definately gives a larger contact patch too.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Is it possible the rear on front combo just works better with the dark because if how much less crown the rears have? Definately gives a larger contact patch too.
Its a good possibility. Also I think the tread design means a lot. Many of the fronts I have looked at have smaller tread blocks, which creates more leading edges, which I think can lead to cupping faster.

That is why I went with the rear tire this time--not to mention the Pirelli rear was less expensive than most of the other fronts I considered.

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
Put Avon Cobras on mine. Should have gotten a few more miles, but as said above, the stone cupped to the point of "singing" with every lean. The front has a similar pattern like the rear. Have only taken a short ride since the change, too soon to tell, they do look good though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions. I decided to puta Pirelli MT66 rear on the front (arrow reversed natch). Never used a Pirelli before. I'll give a review after breakin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts