Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this last year before any mods, and it persists after modding. When cracking the throttle in 3rd gear, and 3rd gear only, the bike will bog/hesitate for a second or two before going, regardless of RPM. It does this in no other gear, and only does it 50-60% of the time. It also won't usually do it again right away-- you have to ride for a while for it to happen again. It ALWAYS happens the first time you roll on hard after firing it up. Other than this it appears to be running fine.

Any ideas? Remove the secondary butterflies perhaps?

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Does it feel like all of the power just cuts off? Mine would feel like what happens if you suddenly pull the choke closed on a warm engine.

Mine did that every now and then, but it didn't matter what gear or how long it had been running. I removed the secondary butterflies and it went away. In my case, it only seemed to bog out when I really needed it----like halfway through a passing zone or pulling out into a busy intersection.

Only problem is now you have to know how to work the throttle. If you open it all the way too quickly the bike will bog out for a second and nearly stall. But now it is predictable and repeatable----I can deal with that.

On the plus side, I seemed to gain some power-----and the part throttle response is amazing. Twisting from 1/4 to 1/2 is a much bigger kick in the pants than is used to be.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly how it feels. I think I'll pull them off. It's snowing again today so I guess I'll have time.

I really hate ND weather.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
That's exactly how it feels. I think I'll pull them off. It's snowing again today so I guess I'll have time.

I really hate ND weather.
9:50 AM here, 58 degrees and sunny, supposed to be almost 70 today......LOL

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're an evil, evil man, Shawn Lattimer! If you weren't so scary big I'd come there and beat you up! :biggrin:

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
You're an evil, evil man, Shawn Lattimer! If you weren't so scary big I'd come there and beat you up! :biggrin:

LOL. We just had the worst winter in recent memory here. We had more snow this winter than we had in about the last 5 years combined.

Not that our weather is probably anything compared with yours-------but we are really ready for spring here.;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Does it feel like all of the power just cuts off? Mine would feel like what happens if you suddenly pull the choke closed on a warm engine.

Mine did that every now and then, but it didn't matter what gear or how long it had been running. I removed the secondary butterflies and it went away. In my case, it only seemed to bog out when I really needed it----like halfway through a passing zone or pulling out into a busy intersection.

Only problem is now you have to know how to work the throttle. If you open it all the way too quickly the bike will bog out for a second and nearly stall. But now it is predictable and repeatable----I can deal with that.

On the plus side, I seemed to gain some power-----and the part throttle response is amazing. Twisting from 1/4 to 1/2 is a much bigger kick in the pants than is used to be.
Shaun ,if you have a power commander. load the accelerator pump enable program. i added +1 and the bog problem dissapeared

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that tip, Gillyiowa-- I'll make sure to do that too.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'll go out and remove those suckers now. I'm at home waiting for the Direct TV guy to show up so I may as well be productive.

·
Behind the 8ball
1,953 Posts
The screws holding them suckers in are VERY tight, so pay close attention. Or you'll be like me and have to drill 'em out. :)

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Shaun ,if you have a power commander. load the accelerator pump enable program. i added +1 and the bog problem dissapeared
I'll have to try that. I don't have the accelerator pump enabled.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Both little screws came out easily. After pulling them it would hesitate when I'd crack the throttle so I did the accelerator pump thing and it seems fine now. Hopefully it'll be warm enough tomorrow to go for a ride.

·
Registered
161 Posts
All the secondaries are is restrictors. They tame the throttle response of this big beast. When you remove them, it causes a lean out condition. adding the acc.pump program, richens the initial fuel charge to compensate for his. All in all MORE POWER!! Yah baby!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Those screws are staked at the factory that's why they are hard to get out they do that so there is no way they can come out and be sucked into the engine. So if you should want to put then back in get new screws and re stake them

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The previous owner must have had them out before as the screws, while a little tight, came right out. I'm going to take it out today to see how it feels... at some point... it's 21 degrees right now.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All the secondaries are is restrictors. They tame the throttle response of this big beast. When you remove them, it causes a lean out condition. adding the acc.pump program, richens the initial fuel charge to compensate for his. All in all MORE POWER!! Yah baby!!
How many RPM's and what sensitivity did you set yours for?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts