Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
lock up your daughters
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's official. On our way to Buster's BBQ in Calistoga, CA I rolled over 30,000 miles on the V2K. Not bad for 2.5 years worth of riding, not oustanding, but not bad.

It's time for a new bike. This bike has been wonderfull, but the end drawing near. I went to Ealge's Nest HD in Lathrop, CA on Tuesday, but with $4,000 down they said the best they could do was a little under $500/month. They had a $4,000 dealer markup they didn't want to get rid of (or maybe it was $3,000). I wasn't paying any dealer markup, if the product you sell isn't designed to make you money, then maybe you should sell something else rather than screw me. I thought for sure that I was leaving with a Road Glide, but we couldn't reach an accord. I'll save up for a few more months and then maybe I'll get a Road Glide, or maybe I'll get a Vision, or maybe I'll get a Cross Country. As you can see, I haven't the foggiest idea as to what I want.

My guess is that I'll be reposting the same thing above, but with 40,000 instead of 30,000 miles something later this year... The V2K... What a beasty

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
--dont hear too many reports about someone who once owned a big vulcan switching to a new brand-- variety is the spice of life... Have u thrown a leg over a Triumph Rocket?

·
lock up your daughters
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
--dont hear too many reports about someone who once owned a big vulcan switching to a new brand-- variety is the spice of life... Have u thrown a leg over a Triumph Rocket?
Yes I have.

The bikes I'm looking for are the 'full dressed' models (well at least mostly dressed anyway in the case of the cross country).

I had been hoping to switch over to a Voyager and stay in the Kawi family, but the only thing the Kawi has going for it, is the price. I'll only spend the money once, but hearing the plastic creak and riding in that seat would be a daily occurrence...

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
take caer of your v2k and you"ll see 100K

·
Registered
141 Posts
So how much was the HD? Here on the east coast a 2010 Red Hot Sunglo FLHTC Electra Glide Classic with ABS/Cruise/Security is $21,049
A 2010 Black FLTRX Road Glide Custom with security is $19,369

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Yes I have.

The bikes I'm looking for are the 'full dressed' models (well at least mostly dressed anyway in the case of the cross country).

I had been hoping to switch over to a Voyager and stay in the Kawi family, but the only thing the Kawi has going for it, is the price. I'll only spend the money once, but hearing the plastic creak and riding in that seat would be a daily occurrence...
So how much was the HD? Here on the east coast a 2010 Red Hot Sunglo FLHTC Electra Glide Classic with ABS/Cruise/Security is $21,049
These are Canadian prices but there sure isn't much difference anymore (both non-ABS models):

Voyager $21,049
Road Glide $22,569

$1500 on a $22,000 purchase isn't much. Personally I'd go with the Victory if I was buying another cruiser, they're 10 times the bike a Harley is IMHO. And the Cross Country is the cheapest of those 3 at $20,069.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
I've got 27,000 miles on my V2K and it still runs as strong as the day I bought it new. Unless you're having problems with yours why don't you just keep it? :confused:

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I've got 27,000 miles on my V2K and it still runs as strong as the day I bought it new. Unless you're having problems with yours why don't you just keep it? :confused:
I remember reading somewhere that most people only keep a bike for two years. Just get an itch for a new bike I guess. I must admit to going through a few bikes in the past 6 years but I think I'll be keeping the ones I have now for awhile. I keep thinking I want to ride a bike 100,000kms (60,000miles) but just haven't held onto one long enough, yet. :tongue:

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Yes, but HELL no.
LOL---I can understand this.

I've had my V2K for 3 years now, and I only have about 12,000 miles on it.

I starting looking and longing for a new bike last fall. I really like the Street Glide, and the Cross Country catches my eye as well.

I think the thing is----some people buy things and keep them forever and are happy that way. Others like to upgrade every so often.

I buy a new truck every 3-5 years because I want one. Same thing with the bike. Somebody comes out with new features or whatever that are more attractive than what you currently own.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
I'm the kind of guy that keeps a car forever. There's an '05 and an '99 in the driveway and they'll be there until repairing them isn't worth the effort any more.

I can see my attitude about the V2K being that way unless my body wear and tear forces me to a different style. The next bike is likely to be a full touring machine. That's the end of the evolutionary path, isn't it?

·
USAF
312 Posts
I don't have the V2K, but I have been going through the "new bike envy". The Concourse 14 is really calling my name!

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I'm the kind of guy that keeps a car forever. There's an '05 and an '99 in the driveway and they'll be there until repairing them isn't worth the effort any more.

I can see my attitude about the V2K being that way unless my body wear and tear forces me to a different style. The next bike is likely to be a full touring machine. That's the end of the evolutionary path, isn't it?
See, we are opposites.

I buy my trucks new-----I had a 2000 Dodge Dakota, traded it on a 2005 Dodge Ram. Traded that for a 2008 Toyota Tundra. Dakota had about 90k on it, Ram had 45k.

The Tundra may last a little longer, at least until something I like better comes out.

Same thing with bikes. Bought a 2004 Meanstreak new in 2004, rode it about 13,000 miles, traded up for a leftover 2006 V2K in 2007. Now I'm itching again.

On the plus side----I take excellent care of everything I own, and I tend to accessorize heavily. Whoever gets my used stuff makes out very well......LOL

·
lock up your daughters
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The a$$ clowns I saw wanted 24,000 plus the governments share. (That price included a $4000 dealer markup). There is another dealer that is close by and I'm told they don't do dealer markups, but the price they list is basically not going to change, but they had the same bike less than $21,000 plus the governments share.

Of course buying a road glide means that I'd also have to buy a tourpak and the lower leg fairings.

·
lock up your daughters
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, the V2K is going to last pretty much forever. I'm not getting a new one becuase this one is dying, I've just outgrown it.

·
lock up your daughters
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why the hell no?
It hurts. By myself I bottom out allot, and my wife is taking more and more trips with me, in fact I'll be putting her through the motorcycle training course in May and IF it's something she still wants to pursue, I'll actuall put off buying me a bike in order to get her a little Vulcan 900.----------she said she wants a road glide, but I told her to sh%t in one hand.....

·
lock up your daughters
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
See, we are opposites.

I buy my trucks new-----I had a 2000 Dodge Dakota, traded it on a 2005 Dodge Ram. Traded that for a 2008 Toyota Tundra. Dakota had about 90k on it, Ram had 45k.

The Tundra may last a little longer, at least until something I like better comes out.

Same thing with bikes. Bought a 2004 Meanstreak new in 2004, rode it about 13,000 miles, traded up for a leftover 2006 V2K in 2007. Now I'm itching again.

On the plus side----I take excellent care of everything I own, and I tend to accessorize heavily. Whoever gets my used stuff makes out very well......LOL
Pretty much the same thing here.

I started out with a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (Diesel), lifted, chipped, intake, exhuast, propane, dvds, subs woofers, chrome out the ying yang...

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (Crew Cab short) diesel ----repeat the accessories

2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (CC, long, diesel) - repeat the accessories

Oh and my Dad has had to trucks that I've done some work on.

I want a fixed fairing touring bike. The V2K, much like all my trucks, is gorgeous, black, big, and powerful. It's just not what I'm looking for at a functionality level.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Understood on variety being the spice of life. But I'm the guy that will ride it till it's dead and then go looking for a new bike. Never could throw out half a can of beverage to open a new one either.

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
See, we are opposites.

...Since u change vehicles every 3 years or so, have u considered just leasing? -Could save u a few clams. Ps)are we gonna see u at the big UFC event this weekend:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts