Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have no manual and was under bike and see 2 drain plugs next to each other should i be opening both drain plugs and also does the oil go in only one fill hole ... i also see 2 of them . seems logical but i dont want to screw anything up thanks

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Their are a total of 3 drain plugs, and one fill hole. The two main drain plugs are under the bike, very close together (it should be noted that you must use a torque wrench to tighten the plugs to the exact spec. and no more, or they will crack). Their is a third drain plug very close to the clutch pull linkage on the side case. It is a smaller chrome bolt, but also must be drained at the same time. (Again, ber very careful tightening these bolts back in, they can crack or strip very easily)

PS. Call you local Kawy dealer and order an owners manual. It is well worthwhile to have on hand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
excuse my stupidity where exactly is the 3rd plug ....does it drain down or horizontal .......also it seems like more than 4.9 qts came out

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
three ok i'll go out and find the 3rd one just fill the oil in the fill hole with the dip stick ?
Yes, oil goes in the big hole wit hthe dipstick.

excuse my stupidity where exactly is the 3rd plug ....does it drain down or horizontal .......also it seems like more than 4.9 qts came out
It's on the left hand side. Follow the clutch cable down to where it connects to a linkage on the backside of the main transmission cover. Just underfrom there is a small (smaller than the 2 main drain bolts) bolt that you have to also remove.

How much oil to add to a V2K is a very. very contreversial and confusing subject. Ask 100 owners and you will get 200 answers. The dipstick cannot necassarily be trusted to give an accurate reading of how much oil is in there.

I drained all the oil, replaced the filter,then add just over the amount required (printed on the tag above the oil filler hole) I think it's about 5 litres. I would add about 5.5 litres every oil change and be done with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks trikebubble thats a perfect link i put 5 1/4 quarts in it i have'nt been able to drive it yet but i'll check dip stick after a 5-10 min ride and see what it says

·
Registered
362 Posts
thanks trikebubble thats a perfect link i put 5 1/4 quarts in it i have'nt been able to drive it yet but i'll check dip stick after a 5-10 min ride and see what it says
Better make that 5.5/5.75 qts.V2K's like a full measure.

·
Mmmm Torque ;)
563 Posts
i have no manual and was under bike and see 2 drain plugs next to each other should i be opening both drain plugs and also does the oil go in only one fill hole ... i also see 2 of them . seems logical but i dont want to screw anything up thanks
Crankin... I have been riding 20 years... In that time I have always changed my own oil except a few times where is was thrown in as part of a scheduled service on the Duc...

I have made 1 attempt at changing the V2K's oil. I have decided it is well worth the 35$ for the dealer to do it,, and I will probably never try again.

I never did find the elusive 3rd plug. The filter requires a special size strap wrench or something... None of my 3 filter wrenches would fit. The bike sits so low I had a ****ens of a time getting the drain pan and the wrenches under there and still made a mess. Then there's the whole problem of how much oil really goes in there, and the fact that the dip stick cant be trusted.

Normally Im all for DIY maitenance, but on this beast, not so much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts