Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2012 GT1400 Concours
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in no hurry, and I like the look of the stock pipes, but I'm looking around and asking around about aftermarket pipes. Everyone I've taked to takes about replacing their pipes and how the bike throws a code now, some at 80mph & others say at 95mph. None the less, I was wondering what everyones experience is with this and if anyone has tried an Oxygen Sensor Eliminator.

92-1101 - Cobra Oxygen Sensor Eliminator - Vulcan 2000

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
I've got the aftermarket HK Sideburner, 2 into 1 pipe, and I've had the V2k up to 120mph indicated which is only what 108mph? But I've had no fault lights or codes or any other problems with the pipe.

·
Master Doityourselfer
971 Posts
Pipes alone shouldn't throw any codes. I've had Roadhouse 2-1's on all summer with no codes thrown. Can't imagine what they're having trouble with.

·
2012 GT1400 Concours
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had aftermarket pipes (both Roadhouse, and now HK 3") on my bike since new, and have never thrown a code or had a fault.

Not sure where you're getting your opinions from.
I ran into 3 seperate people who had aftermakets (Cobra 2:1 Hp's, Cobra Longs and V&H Powershots) and all told me the same thing. Thats why I'm asking here. Even the Service Manager at my local dealer recpommended shopping around as he has people come bach with the FI light on from driving steady speeds w/ different pipes on the bike.
I'll look into some of the styles mentioned... Thanks.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I ran into 3 seperate people who had aftermakets (Cobra 2:1 Hp's, Cobra Longs and V&H Powershots) and all told me the same thing. Thats why I'm asking here. Even the Service Manager at my local dealer recpommended shopping around as he has people come bach with the FI light on from driving steady speeds w/ different pipes on the bike.
Interesting. I wonder if it has anything t odo with the O2 sensor eliminatoir thingie that's needed on California bikes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the HK 3 inch big straights with a DynoJet O2 eliminator and a stock air filter with no other engine modifications. I do not have a fuel processor yet. I DO get the FI light if I hold a cruise between 90-95 for more then 10 minutes or so. Just ramping up to that speed for a pass will not usually trip the light but a steady cruise at that speed will usually do it. It is not a constant thing though. Sometimes it will do it and sometimes it won't. I think even with the stock air filter the pipes make the bike a bit lean, especially at the top end and that is why the light goes on, I could be totally off base but that is just a thought. BTW when the light does go on the bike performs totally normal. The light goes off the at the next time I turn the key off then re-start the bike.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Are you in California?

·
2012 GT1400 Concours
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you in California?
No, I'm in Arizona and it's not a CA model. I was kicking this around with someone today who noted that it might be a late 2007 & 2008 issue. They noted HD's are similar with the O2 sensors now. Bottom line I'm gonna keep asking around and see how this all pans out. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, I'm in Arizona and it's not a CA model. I was kicking this around with someone today who noted that it might be a late 2007 & 2008 issue. They noted HD's are similar with the O2 sensors now. Bottom line I'm gonna keep asking around and see how this all pans out. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I am not sure if my bike is a California model but it did have an O2 sensor in the factory pipes. I used a DynoJet part O2 eliminator plug when I removed it. I appear to be the only V2K so far that has experienced this problem in this forum. To assist anybody who can help I pulled the service code from the ECU and I got a code 33.

33* Oxygen sensor inactication, wiring open or short

The above statement is pulled from the service manual. I am not sure what this means or if it means my O2 eliminator plug is not working or otherwise defective. I would like to remedy this trouble if anybody has any ideas.

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
We have Alren Ness. Never had a problem.
I'm starting to strip my V2K for custom paint and was considering the Ness pipes. Are you happy with them? Anything you'd like to point out good or bad? How do they sound and do they come with baffles?

Please enlighten me... :smile:

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Custom Paint?

Whatcha gonna do? I think the Glacier blue/brown scheme you have looks great.
Thanks... 'preciate that, but I'm an artist and can't leave things well enough alone... :lol:

Having the tins shot black (hopefully with a pearl base) and then a wide metallic copper stripe down the middle of the fenders and top of the tank. I'm going to fill the copper stripe with wild arse, realistic skulls/snake airbrushing in browns, tans, blues and black. I'll finish it off with a bit of pinstriping before final clear. Might add in a bit of cheesecake on the rear fender. Saw something similar on a Borguet (sp?) and it's been stuck in my head.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.