Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I will appreciate any input.
Speedometer does not work. It works fine when doing the initial check after turning the key on, but after that, it remains dead at 0 Km/h. Otherwise bike works as fine as ever.
I have checked connections and fuses and doesn´t seems to be a problem there.

Thanks again in advance.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
No speedo cable on a V2K-- electronic. My bet is either the plug for the sensor is corroded/loose or the sensor has gone bad. I'm not sure where it is, though. I'm sure another V2Ker will chime in with that info or other ideas.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
The V2K has a sensor on/in the tranny that counts the teeth of the transfer gear as they go by. I would guess that you have a bad connection somewhere in this circuit. I think the sensor can be seen from the left side, kind of on top of the transmission... but I can't get to my manual right now so I can't verify its location.

Is the odometer still working?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, odometer working fine.
Next step is the sensor, but I don´t feel confident enough handling it, so I will take it to prof hands. I will keep you informed. I´ve heard that a new sensor is expensive.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Hopefully it's just a connection issue. The fact that the odometer is still working tells me something else may be going on. Clean, grease, and reseat the connectors under the chrome cover on the left side of the engine. It almost has to be a loose or dirty connection.

I looked in the service manual and it is indeed a bit(h to get that sensor out of there. I feel your pain; it drives me NUTS when my vehicles aren't running tip-top.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
I am thinking if the OD is working than the sensor is working... could be wrong though.

My speedo doesn't sweep during the initialization process occasionally. A few raps on the glass and all is good. I have heard this is a common problem, but does not sound like it's the same as yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.