Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if this is normal. The rear brake on my bike is pretty much useless. You have to press really hard on the pedal to feel any braking power at all, and then it goes from little to almost locking the rear wheel. It's very difficult to modulate in slow speed maneuvers and, when I tried to stop using only the rear brake once just to see, I essentially felt nothing then the rear wheel locked up (on a 225 car tire, no less).

I think I've read before that they're "specially modulated to prevent locking the rear wheel." I think they're just on there to look cool and not actually be used. My pads are in great shape, as is the rotor. I've flushed it and bled it thoroughly.

Opinions? Lattimer? Belrix? TheRogue? Bueller? :biggrin:

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
I can agree that it's not very powerful. A good hard press just slows the bike a bit. I've never tried locking in up, that sounds like a scary idea, but I do find myself using my front brake more with the V2K over the former 900.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Mine works fine. Not a tremendous amount of braking power, but it works the way I would expect it to. I use it all the time.

If I try to lock the rear wheel, it will do it pretty easily.

Sounds to me like maybe your pads are glazed up and not gripping.

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
Mine works fine. Not a tremendous amount of braking power, but it works the way I would expect it to. I use it all the time.

If I try to lock the rear wheel, it will do it pretty easily.

Sounds to me like maybe your pads are glazed up and not gripping.
+1

Would you recommend sanding them to rough them up a bit?

·
16,933 Posts
I can agree that it's not very powerful. A good hard press just slows the bike a bit. I've never tried locking in up, that sounds like a scary idea, but I do find myself using my front brake more with the V2K over the former 900.
What??? Why?

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should pull them off and sand them. I had it apart when I had the wheel off getting darksided, and they looked pretty shiny. It'll be a 15 minute job to do that, maybe I'll hit them tonight. Maybe the previous owner was a rear-brake-dragger.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
What??? Why?
'cause it seems I have to. The 900's rear brake seemed to grip more.

It's impossible to quantify but it felt like I was about 66% front to 33% rear on the 900 while the V2K is more like 80%/20% front to rear in braking effect.

·
16,933 Posts
Interesting.

At least you're using both brakes... there's way too many people out there that don't use the front brakes to stop. One day they'll regret that. I just hope it doesn't kill them.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, using only the rear brake is a bad idea. I'm sure I'm more like 90/10 as I've pretty much given up on the rear brake.

·
16,933 Posts
Yeah, using only the rear brake is a bad idea. I'm sure I'm more like 90/10 as I've pretty much given up on the rear brake.
Don't do that... you'll need that thing to stop a quickly as you can. 90/10 seems to be too much front brake for quick stopping.

·
Size does matter!
272 Posts
I use my front brake very little at slow speeds or when gradually coming to a stop. The bike seems to be more manageable when stopping without the front brake. My rear brake seems to work fine....or maybe I'm just accustomed to how it works.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
my brake work pretty good, 80/20 split but they really suck after i have been riding the 14 for a while and then dive into a corner

·
Registered
380 Posts
I use my gears & rarely use my brake until down to 2ed or 1st. But I use front a lot more than rear as I have to really step down on rear brake to feel much out of it.

ophidia let us know if helps any when you sand your rear pads off.

red

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
V2K here and the Green Damsel will lock up the back end pretty easy. I use the rear brake on my bike all the time. Actually have to remember to use the fronts more at times.

One thing about the 2000 is she does seem to dive a bit more when you use the front brake, not sure if this is making people 'think' they are using more then they are. I could NEVER stop my bike with the front....and most likely not with the 90/10 suggested above.

In fact I have found that on forced panic stops...ie a quick light or a stupid cage...she'll lock up the darkside pretty good. Now only done it once since darkside but I know the MC tire locked up a LOT on me and I wouldn't even feel it until the *** end started to swing.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
Yeah the rear brake feels a bit mushy at the best of times, but I wouldn't say as bad as 80 - 20. When I tipped my bike upside down on holidays I couldn't get the brake bled properly till I got home and used my suction tool.
But yeah, worst rear brake in my riding history.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thats normal.......Is not even worth the effort to lift your foot to use the rear brake unless there is an emergency of course.........

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I sanded the pad and the rotor with 220 grit and it made no difference. I call it normal, I guess. Fortunately the front brakes work quite well.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If I remember correctly, from my 'msf' course....many , many years ago, they taught us that the front brake should account for 80% of your braking power. So a 80/20 would be expected......my rear brake performs just fine based on that standard, but maybe I have selective memory

1 - 20 of 61 Posts