Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, based on reading on here and researching online, I
became aware of the R/R connector problem. My bike is an '06, got it
in August. Anyway, since it's winter and the bike is sitting all
lonely in the garage, I figured now would be a good time to clean and
lube the connections. The top plug came off clean and no issues, but
the bottom one was all corroded and one prong broke off in the plug.

Dammit!

So, anyway, did anyone ever find a source for the plugs? Also, a good
(cheap) source for a new R/R? Any chance my "Good Times" plan will
cover it?

Fortunately I still have about 6 wks of winter left here...

Help me!

·
Registered
241 Posts
So, based on reading on here and researching online, I
became aware of the R/R connector problem. My bike is an '06, got it
in August. Anyway, since it's winter and the bike is sitting all
lonely in the garage, I figured now would be a good time to clean and
lube the connections. The top plug came off clean and no issues, but
the bottom one was all corroded and one prong broke off in the plug.

Dammit!

So, anyway, did anyone ever find a source for the plugs? Also, a good
(cheap) source for a new R/R? Any chance my "Good Times" plan will
cover it?

Fortunately I still have about 6 wks of winter left here...

Help me!

I will be watching this thread. When I put mine up this winter I also pulled and checked mine and found the top plug in fine shape, but the lower one had water in it and starting to corrode. I also noticed that one of the rubber plugs that blocked the extra holes was out of place in the connector. I also was wondering if the good times might cover it. It would be a shame if I have to turn my bike into a Garage Queen, to keep the water out. I think maybe Ma Kaw should take a look at this problem. It would be ok if you never rode it in the rain....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Looking at oneof your links I noticed a Honda Gl 2000cc never heard of that until I saw this link..anyone know of this?
T.O.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not an isolated experience. It was only when I had rectifier issues, that I heard from soooooo many people, with all manner of motorcycle types. Some real horror stories involving breakdowns and warranty issues. It doesnt seem to matter what the bike is, or how much money was spent, rectifiers seem to be a very common complaint. Why are they so often mounted in the most rediculous places, just where the water and crap are thrown? beats me.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
This is not an isolated incident. I know of at lest 10 VN2000 owners that have reported similar problems. This is a design error and should be addressed by Kawasaki… good luck on that tho.

I had a similar experience with my VN2000, the plug was gone but the rectifier itself was OK. There are no direct replacements for either the plug (parts there of) or the rectifier except OEM. I rebuilt the plug with GM style clips, some epoxy, and dielectric grease. It was a pain but it has worked for over a year now (and hopefully will continue to). Kawasaki will want to sell you a new main harness (not just the plug) and a set of RRs. If both the plug and RR are damaged on your bike you might want to look into replacing it with an aftermarket equivalent and wiring in whatever plug comes with the new unit.

There was a guy on Ebay who posted here a week or so ago that was parting out an 06 VN2000.

·
This snow has got to go!
513 Posts

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I can get the set of R/R's from him for 80 bucks. Not bad. Now I just need to decide what I'm going to do about the plug. Fun fun.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Good Price... maybe he will sell you the wiring harness and you can cut-n-splice the good plug onto your bike.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pics:

Rectifiers:

Plugs:

More plugs:

As you can see it's really corroded in there. Nice design.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
If the plug terminals aren't too corroded you might be able to clean them up with a small file set, then spray them with electrical contact cleaner and then thoroughly coat the all plug terminals with dielectric grease and put it all back together. I did that with mine and it seems to have put a stop to further corrosion. However, if the terminals are too far gone then that's a different story.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Is that connector corroded or burned? Looks like some plastic melting and blue metal connectors, from what I can see. That rectifier might be a candidate for a resistance check.
If the metal connectors have been overheated, it generally renders them useless and must be replaced, or will give problems again.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The connector doesn't looked melted or burned-- it appears to be corrosion and dirt. I haven't cleaned it up yet. The rectifier is toast-- one of the pins came off and the others are extremely corroded.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
If the rectifier pins have been hot, then the receptical that the pins plug into have been hot, also. The female pins in the plug end have to have exceptional gripping power to handle the high current they carry. Typically, when they have been overheated, they loose their springyness and holding power. You replace the rectifier, plug in the old harness and the connector will again overheat due to poor contacts.
Also, what can happen is where the female connector crimps onto the wire becomes oxidized and produces a high resistance.
You will want to check that connector over very carefully or you will be chasing your tail with more problems.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have to get clever with connectors, epoxy and grease like Vulcan900. How did you do it?

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
If the wires are long enough to cut this out later and put in connectors (if necessary) you could just solder and shrink tube the connections.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts