Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've seen a few here, tried some searches here and on line vendors, not really seeing what I want ??? I'm looking for a sidemount plate bracket that attaches to the axle/swingarm with the plate in a vertical position. I would prefer curved to flat but either will work for me. Doesn't need to be lighted but small leds would be okay. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

TIA!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was in a similiar position not long ago. I have a 2007 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT and couldn't stand the stock position of the license plate.

Didn't find anything online that I liked and wanted a side mount. Having the added benefit of having bags on this bike, I make a couple of "'L" brackest to go on the inside of the bag from the bag attachment points to the bottom of the bag and made another "L" bracket that would go longitudinally under the bag and provide a place to mount the license plate. Obviously, this means I had to drill 2 holes in the bottom of the bag to bolt everything together, but since I sealed everything up with silicone, the structure and integrity of the bag was not comprimised.

Another reason I went this route and stopped searching for a swing arm/axle mount mount type was I didn't want the plate constantly impacting the saddel bag above it.

This may not work for you since you didn't specify if you had saddle bags or not, but I thought I would throw this out there as one mans option.

Hope this help and if you want pics, let me know and I will post a few. (If I can figure out that picture taking thingy...)

Not all that new here, just haven't felt the need to post.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link Van, looks nice, I'll send him a email.

noble, I don't have bags at this point but thanks regardless. If you can post a pic I'd like to see 8)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good noble, nice ride for sure. Someday I will probably add bags, nice setup ! Who makes the bib cover you have on the rear fender ? I ordered a plain black one from Phat but the one you have is nice !

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW if you want to show your images rather than link right click the pic, click properties, highlight the link and paste between the
tags.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Looks good noble, nice ride for sure. Someday I will probably add bags, nice setup ! Who makes the bib cover you have on the rear fender ? I ordered a plain black one from Phat but the one you have is nice !

does that license plate drag or hit when sharp turns?

chris

·
Registered
196 Posts
BTW if you want to show your images rather than link right click the pic, click properties, highlight the link and paste between the
tags.
Thanks for the tip....I told you that "picture thingy" was going to be a challange for the few surviving brains cells left along for the ride.

On the back of the bike is actually a curved solo rack that I got from Big Bike Parts via my local dealer:

Big Bike Parts, Inc

Can't buy from them directly; I tried.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What did you use to cover the bolt holes that the plate holder previously used?
I used 6mm X 1.0 chrome plated button head screws that I found here:

http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=25&cs=82&cm=77&cd=1639

I got the shortest length possible and still cut about half of the tread length off just because I was a little leary of having the equilivent of three spikes riding a few inches from my rear tire. (I hear blowouts are a nasty thing)

Little bit of thread lock and there you have it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Arkainzye, the floorboards scrape long before the plate would touch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Something like this:

It does have a brake light, and an l.e.d. for plate lighting. It's made by Kuryakyn and didn't exactly fit the swingarm. The mount is make the generic size which fits the Roadstar and bikes with similarly-sized swingarms. The V2K swingarm is slighltly (very slightly) bigger. While the bike was at the dealer getting the Speedster longs installed they were able to file down the insides of the mounts enough so that it would fit. It definitely looks great and is in a much better place than stock IMO.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Something like this:

It does have a brake light, and an l.e.d. for plate lighting. It's made by Kuryakyn and didn't exactly fit the swingarm. The mount is make the generic size which fits the Roadstar and bikes with similarly-sized swingarms. The V2K swingarm is slighltly (very slightly) bigger. While the bike was at the dealer getting the Speedster longs installed they were able to file down the insides of the mounts enough so that it would fit. It definitely looks great and is in a much better place than stock IMO.
Very nice...
Laurel, MD? I used to live over by the old USAirways arena about 8 years ago when I was assigned to Walter Reed. Miss the area, just not the traffic.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Something like this:

Great looking V2K!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very nice...
Laurel, MD? I used to live over by the old USAirways arena about 8 years ago when I was assigned to Walter Reed. Miss the area, just not the traffic.
Oops. I moved to Bowie, MD a few months ago and never changed my profile. USAirways Arena was torn town a few years ago. There's a large shopping mall, outdoor style, there now. I was in the Army Reserve for a few years and, during Desert Storm we were activated and served at Walter Reed in place of active duty soldiers who went to Iraq during most of 1991.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts