Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's belt squeal... Definitely related to the speed of the bike, squeaks from slow to fast. It may be the front pulley - it seems to come from the front of the bike.

I'd like to loosen the belt a bit, see if that helps.

Can I just tweak it a bit on the belt side or do both sides have to be adjusted together. I'm asking because I'm not sure I want to mess with the cotter pin side.

How much would you recommend loosening the tension bolt each attempt (# turns?)

Could I shoot the belt with a little WD-40 or something as a test to see if it's the belt? (I know it'll burn off, just wondering about it a diagnostic test).

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
First off don't try to make any adj. without loosening the axle bolt. That guy needs to be fairly loose. If you want ot move the tire ahead you should loosen the adjuster more than you need, kick (hammer, pull the belt) the tire forward then adjust to where you want it. Why do you fell it is an adjustment problem? Have you changed the tire? Is the tension within specs?

Everyone thinks I'm off my nut for saying it but I think some of the stock belts had issues. Everyone plays with the adjustments but since day one I have used the guage at the adjusment nuts and always had no problem. Then 3000kms into my camping holiday it started to chirp. I stopped at 2 different friends houses and tried playing with the adjustment, just a waste of time. At about 2000 kms from home I spent some time in some severe rain in Victoria and it followed me all day till Hope BC. I mean people on the sidewalk in downtown Vancouver were turning around to see what the squeek was. The next day after a few miles in the dry it just went back to an annoying chirp that I put up with till the end of the season trying all sorts of "fixes" that would last a couple hundred kms or less. Next season I bought a dayco Panther and that stopped the chirp immed. After I trashed that belt I bought an S&S from the HD dealer here. Again, no noise issues. Now I've been playing with my pulley, loosen the belt, do what I need, line up the marks, factory tension. 3 times in the last 2 weeks. No Issues.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loosen both sides, then?

I guess I was assuming adjustment problem since it was a known issues with the 900's. Lots of people complained about the belt squeak and most had success just loosening the belt a little.

No, I don't have a tension guage so I'm not sure about tension being within spec.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
You can loosen just one tensioner if you feel it needs to go forward. A rough (and I mean rough) way to check tension is to grab the top of the belt 1/2 way between the pulleys and try to twist it 45 degrees. If it goes further it is probably too loose (or you are really really strong). If you ride hard and your belt is loose you will hear a horrible sound when the belt jumps a cog.

If you have a shop you regularly use I'm sure they would be willing to run out and check the tension. As for alignment, I'm gonna side with Kawi and say go with the guage on the tensioners and make sure they are even whatever else you need to do.

My list of "fixes" with the first belt.
Adjust adjust and adjust again. Just made me feel like I was doing something.
Belt dressing. This was the longest lasting fix. 6 - 800 kms. Might as well be lubing a ^$)(&^%$^$ chain.
Scuff the edge of the pulley. A couple runs into town and it started coming back
Scuff the edge of the belt. What a waste of time
WD40 Another waste, didn't even get into town.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I think it's belt squeal... Definitely related to the speed of the bike, squeaks from slow to fast. It may be the front pulley - it seems to come from the front of the bike.

I'd like to loosen the belt a bit, see if that helps.

Can I just tweak it a bit on the belt side or do both sides have to be adjusted together. I'm asking because I'm not sure I want to mess with the cotter pin side.

How much would you recommend loosening the tension bolt each attempt (# turns?)

Could I shoot the belt with a little WD-40 or something as a test to see if it's the belt? (I know it'll burn off, just wondering about it a diagnostic test).
Before you mess with it, squirt it with a little WD-40 and go for a ride. If the noise is still there, its not the belt. If it is gone, its the belt.

You can loosen the adjusters all you want, but until you loosen the axle nut you will not move the wheel, and you will not adjust anything.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
any of those will work for a temporary solution. Wears off pretty quickly though.

·
Stealth Custom
4,838 Posts
What can be done? I've been messing with it all week. Looser, tighter. Nothing. I was on a charity ride yesterday and it was pretty embarrasing. :(
I shot some wd-40 on the inside of the belt to see what would happen and it's quiet now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
my belt definatly squeks win its a little 2 tite. i no win i used 2 put armor all on my tires it would make its way 2 the belt and it was horrible. win i adjust my belt with center stand down and rear tire off ground i spin the tire until it sounds most quiet and i get the belt traking in the middle not rubbing on either side. the perfect spot is hard 2 find and takes alot of patience 4 sure. ive change my tires 4 over 100,000 miles and its never easy 2 get the belt just rite.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You can loosen the adjusters all you want, but until you loosen the axle nut you will not move the wheel, and you will not adjust anything.
Agree. I don't mount my tires, but I take on/off the wheels myself. I don't have much noise like I did before. I am sure to spin the tire making sure it doesn't touch the side of the pulley before settling on the set position of the adjusters. I keep the belt a lot looser then when it was purchased.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I actually run my bike on the jack. 3rd gear at idle works good. I adjust the belt for tightness first, then track it with the bike running. I also added the shim, and I have it completely silent this way. It does take some patience.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I found some belt conditioner spray that I'm gonna try after the wd40 wears off.
If it's the same one I was using don't even waste your money and time. That stuff gets gooey and leaves a residue on your belt, pulleys and that same residue gets on your rim.

·
Registered
137 Posts
? do you recommend this spray?...

·
Registered
466 Posts
That can states use every 3k. I thought one of the advantages to belt drive was no or low maintenance. It is suppose to be better then chain???!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts