Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000cc
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Vulcan 2000. For a while I've been hearing a squeaking noise coming from my rear tire area. It happens when in I throttle and stops when I let off. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Get the rear wheel off the ground and see if you can make the sound while you turn the wheel by hand. Grab the tire with two hands and see if there is any wiggle side to side. There should be no free play whatsoever. Is your chain well lubed? Check to make sure nothing is rubbing on the tire or the chain. Examine all shock linkages and grease or oil if needed. Check tire pressure while you are at it.

You may have to take the wheel off and inspect the bearings to see if they need to be re-greased.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Thanks for the correction! Yes, belt squeak would be the first place I would look. I have not worked on belt drive bikes but in industry we had belt sprays that would cut down on belt squeal and aid in belt traction. Perhaps with a toothed belt they don't need any spray at all. Just curious though, what does belt maintenance consist of?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Belt maintenance is for the most part Tension, Alignment and visual check for wear specifically tears or lumps missing where a stone or similar has got in between a pulley and the belt, Apart from that there quite robust.
That's why I asked if the rear wheel had been removed recently as the alignment if out will cause the belt to rub excessively on one side and will become more evident under load.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put a rear tire on ab About 3 years ago. I stopped riding for about a year and a half. Im just stating to ride again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I adjust the rear tire without jacking up the bike. My hydraulics are gone on my jack.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Tbh not effectively.
You need to spin the wheel to check alignment of the belt with the pulley (Run out) as well as checking for tight spots, Belts don't wear like chains but I always check throughout the length to make sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts