Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I just installed a TFI and a Thunder Tornado kit on my '07 V2K.
I thought after I installed the TFI that I should crank it back up and make sure everything was okay, but I went ahead and installed the Thunder Tornado kit.

Now my bike won't idle and it's blowing white smoke! Should I remove everything and take it back like it was before or does anyone have any ideas?

Maybe it's a bad TFI or maybe I didn't do something right. I'm not exactly a mechanic. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
410 Posts
when you start the bike and the tfi black rubber cover is removed do you see all the lights flashing if you give it a little rev... I would make sure you have the blue and grey wires connected to the right wire on the injector leads.(if yours is blue and grey mine was) . also please post your settings...

chris

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, right now, I'm at 4'0clock 3'0clock 4'0clock and 3'0clock
I have to hold the throttle a little bit to make it "idle". The green and red lights are flashing at this "idle". I can't even make it idle with the idle adjustment.

I got the plug and play version, so the wires should be right.
After I let it warm up, the smoke is black and the garage gets pretty thick.
My wife says she can smell "fuel or something" on my clothes now.

I may to try to just take it back like it was on New Year's Day.

·
Registered
410 Posts
yeah nothing wrong with your settings... i wonder why in the hell its doing that! I do not know the plug and play verison. is there any way the injector plugs could be reversed? (just guessing) i mean if they were switched would it make a difference.?

chris

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it would make a difference. The instructions say:

"There is no order to hook up the TFI harness to the factory harness just make sure the original factory connector goes to its’ original cylinder."

I don't think there's enough wire to do it any other way.

·
2007 V2K Classic LT
131 Posts
Okay, right now, I'm at 4'0clock 3'0clock 4'0clock and 3'0clock
I have to hold the throttle a little bit to make it "idle". The green and red lights are flashing at this "idle". I can't even make it idle with the idle adjustment.

I got the plug and play version, so the wires should be right.
After I let it warm up, the smoke is black and the garage gets pretty thick.
My wife says she can smell "fuel or something" on my clothes now.

I may to try to just take it back like it was on New Year's Day.
I emailed Dobek Performance for settings and told them my mods
Barons Big air kit, TFI, and HK 3" big straights
this is what they sent me

G 2:30 o'clock
Y 4:30 o'clock
R 2:00 o'clock
Rpm 4:00 o'clock

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Bummer. Make sure the white smoke is not steam from the engine sucking coolant from somewhere. Does the exhaust smell like oil, gas or ??. Sounds like you are sucking oil from the breather or somewhere and the poor idle characteristics sounds like a vacuum leak 2me. Check every possible location where something could be introduced into the intake stream. Don't make any assumptions at this point and thoroughly troubleshoot before you change anything. Good luck....

·
Registered
410 Posts
Your idle isnt set to low is it? cause you said it wont idle.. I started mine today after many weeks of sitting & i had to turn the idle way up as it wasnt to die.

chris

·
Registered
552 Posts
I emailed Dobek Performance for settings and told them my mods
Barons Big air kit, TFI, and HK 3" big straights
this is what they sent me

G 2:30 o'clock
Y 4:30 o'clock
R 2:00 o'clock
Rpm 4:00 o'clock
if I remember right the RPM pot should be at 9:00, or at least thats what its suposse to be on my 1600 classic.
the rest of the setting look good.
if it was me I would start over on the TFI. go back over all install steps and make sure it right.

another note, I can't remember which TFI unit was named. but there is one that needs to be grounded to the bike.
it might the the cobra unit but I can't remember for sure

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
Since it is easy to bypass (the plug & play connectors) I'd do that first. That way you can isolate which mod is affecting your bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, guys, she's purring like a kitten now - actually a big cat!

Thanks to all. I think DeepPurple had it right. I think it was a vacuum leak. Just in front of the injectors there's a tee with three small hoses on it (pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what its' called).

Anyway, the small hose on the back side got disconnected. I remember pulling the tee forward so that my fingers would have more room to make the connections. Guess that's when it happened. The hoses just snap on.

Once I connected it back it was perfect. I have to say though, that I couldn't tell much difference when I was trying to adjust the green pot setting, so I left it about 4'0clock.

Again, thanks to all!

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Ice...... It is usually the easy stuff that stumps us. Good trouble shooting effort. Now, get out there and ride!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts