Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas what's going on,sooo I am in the process of moving and i will be shipping all my stuff to TX and ride my 09 Ninja 250 down there. I will be splitting the trip in at least 4 stays,I was gonna stay in NC at a friend's house for a couple of days but i found out he's traveling around the date i will hit the road so i'll just see how far south i can get and just stay in a motel or something.

Next up i'll hit FL where i'll be staying with some cousins for some days also and then i will hit the road again and stay somewhere in between FL and TX. 95 S to I-10 W,it should be fun i am really looking forward to this,the longest trip i've taken is 2-300 miles in a couple of hrs just riding with a friend so this trip has me a little nervous/anxious/excited and all that.

Any tips will be appreciated:

-I changed my oil and filter a few hundred miles ago so i think i should be good on that (?)

-I already purchased my tailbag/saddlebag kit for the bike and will carry with me: a roll of Duct tape,zipties,a small tool kit,SLIME along with the small tire inflator that hooks to the battery,flashlight,1 pair of regular shoes,1 pair of jeans,some underwear and my GPS.

Anything i might be forgetting from your experience?

Should/can I put the SLIME in my tires in advance or should i just put it if i get a flat....??

Thanks for all the input and help and i'm sorry if this stuff has been asked before but i couldn't find any of the threads so i decided to make the topic myself.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Slime is designed to stop small leaks when they happen, so it should be put in now, if you are going to use it at all. Having said that, I don't have any idea how it will affect your tire balance. Hopefully, it won't. I think (read the package) that it is supposed to be balance neutral, by spreading out evenly around the circumference of the tire. It will work a whole lot better if it's already in the tire. You may not even need to add air immediately. It will also prevent more damage that could be caused by running on an under inflated tire.
Also, make sure you load evenly from side to side. I assume you are taking only what you need for the trip, but pack an extra change of clothing, or even two. You don't know what you might be delayed by, or if you will get wet. Rain gear is a great thing, but only if you wear it. Check the weather along your planned route for the day.
Don't, don't, don't get in a hurry! This isn't a race. Yes, you want to make time, but going too fast, or riding too long is a recipe for trouble. If you try too hard to make up lost time, you may not make it at all. Allow for delays. In fact, build some time into your trip plan for them. That way, if you aren't delayed, you get there early.
Get good rest, and keep hydrated. When your body need water, it tires much more easily, especially at the end of the day, when you are already fatigued from riding 6 or 8 hours. Hopefully, you won't try 10 hours a day on a 250.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
One thing that will help prevent tire problems is to have a set of fresh tires for a journey that long. If you have any doubts about how long they will last, get some new ones. I've known more than one person who wasn't able to complete a long ride on the tires they left home with, and they weren't always happy with the replacement choices available on the road. If your tires still have quite a few miles left in them they can always be kept as emergency spares. I have a few of those in my garage.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The two most important items you can carry are a cell phone and a road assistance (AAA?) card.

A good medical insurance card would be a close third.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i am def. not going to race to get there,i will be taking my sweet time since i don't HAVE to be down there at a specific date so i'll be taking a little vacation and see the sights.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Wow... I was just in TX (Plainsville) and it was very cold there. So, I would say dress warm. 6+ hours of riding is tough. Stop every hour and stretch your legs. I'd also get a list of truck stops from a Flying J or someplace so you can plan out your rest AND fuel stops in advance. Just don't wing-it.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
Speaking of riding in cold weather, it sure can't hurt to buy some of those heat packets that get hot when you open the package. Some of those in your shoes and gloves can really save the day.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Rain gear. I didn't see that in your list.

Even down south, you'll need layers to stay warm this time of year. After about 30 minutes out, you'll wish you had. get something for around your neck too.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
BTw i carry the slime and the CO2 injector plug kit on me for longer trips...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes,i will be dressed in layers,i already have a rain jacket that's good for the cold, also,my bike jacket already has a waterproof inner layer and so do my riding pants. Boots are also water proof and VERY warm,bought a couple of thick pairs of socks,and i will be getting the small heat pads for the hands. I also have plenty of protection for the neck ( balaclava,bandana and a some kind of thick face mask that you can use as a scarf only). I've been checking on mapquest for hotels nearby the interstate but i will check again for the Flying J stops (thanks for reminding me i forgot about those ).

Something about me is that for some reason my body temperature rises up quickly,i get hot and sweat easily so the only thing so far that i've experience a bit too much cold with would be my hands but i will keep that on check.

V2K I will be moving to Houston,i have some friends i'll be staying with there until i get a job and a place. I used to live there 3 years ago and i really miss it overall ( the people,the food,cheap cost of living overall and more laidback ).

I plan on making frequent stops to stretch,fill up on gas and grab a snack. The only doubt i still have is... SLIME,should i put it in my tires before the trip or...?? i've heard different opinions on that so i'm kinda confused on what to go with. Keep 'em coming guys and thanks a lot for the tips.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Well stay in touch and let me know when you get there, come down this way for spring break and we can ride the beaches etc

·
Registered
462 Posts
It is snowing in north Texas....

right now..........................be sure to watch the weather channel every morning before hitting the road. Have fun.................dress warm, it is cold out this time of year....chris3

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the good wishes. I'll finish up shipping the rest of my stuff tomorrow and i will only have the stuff for the trip with me and i'll just be on stand-by checking the weather constantly and as soon as i see at least 4 days of clear weather i will be hitting the road. As soon as i get to FL it'll get easier since the weather shouldn't be too cold ( freezing temp. ).

I've been riding under the 20-30 degree + windchill making it around the teens weather this week and so far so good.

V2K that spring break ride sounds great,i'm dying to hit up some beaches so i will def. try to make that happen.

I will also report back when i get down to FL and then TX.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
Oh, man. Spring Break on Padre Island. Do you like young people who party like there's no tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
We are, indeed, having an unusually cold winter in Texas. Here in the Dallas area, we had 4 snows (three of which stuck to some extent) in December, and our first white Christmas in 50 years. Houston had their earliest snowfall ever, and they usually only get snow about once every 3 years.

It was mighty cold at night down by New Orleans last week, too!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bet. I remember it got pretty cold when i was living down there 3 years ago,but i'm fairly used to the cold up here already,i know the cold down there wont be as bad.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts