Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
duz anyone here own or know about the 1991 zx6 that came with 599cc engine (dont know the engine code). i think its sposed to have 98hp. anyways, i wanted to adjust the valves but when i took everything apart till i saw the camshafts, this is what i saw: The cams sit directly over top of cylinder shaped pushrods/lifters(?) about 2cm in diameter that are pressed on by the cam lobes. these lifters then press on the valve somewhere where the eye cant see. there r no rocker arms or adjustment screws anywhere. my question is, are these cylinder shaped things hydraulic lifters? if so, how long do they last? can the be adjusted? if they are not.... how do i adjust my valves? i realize i should buy the fsm and I will do that in the near future, but for now any input would be apreciated.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
that setup is called "SHIM OVER BUCKET" , that 2cm round disc you see is the SHIM and you can change them out to a thicker/thinner shim.
you need a set of feeler guages to check the clearance between the shim and your camshaft. you have to check each cylinder when the cam is on its base-circle. you really need to get the service manaul so that you do things correctly the first time.
:wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, so they r adjustable. k, i will have to buy the service manuel then. maybe get one for christmas? :p

btw, where would i get a manual? from the dealer? motorcycle store? and what kind should i get? thanks:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
BONG!

Sorry no.

The ZX6D/ZZR600D (and E) has the very small shims that sit UNDER the 'buckets' (followers).
You have to measure the clearances, remove the cams, shuffle the shims, replace the cams, recheck your new clearances.

Start at www.haynes.com for a manual.

Go to www.buykawasaki.com and look under vehicle information for parts diagrammes - not as good as having a manual, but better then nothing.

edited extract:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow. i dun wanna adjust valves anymore. thanks for the links and foto brett;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts