Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all,

I would like to adjust the valves on my 96 ZX7R. But I have never done valve adjustments on a Motorcycle before. I am very capable when it comes to automotive repair and fabrication. I actually build custom offroad vehicles... far cry from motorcycles... but just want to explain that I am capable.

Anyway... does anybody have any advice on how to go about this. Any do's or dont's? Should the carbs be sync'd after the valve adjustment?

Thanks,

Yogi

·
Registered
71 Posts
Best bit of advise would be to buy a kawasaki service manual for your bike make sure it's for the right model ZX750 P1 (1996)

There about £40.00 ish but considering the damage you can inflict upon your ped there well worth it .

Every aspect of your bike is covered so future tasks should be easier even to the point of listing special tools needed and there part numbers.
:)
Kev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Kawasaki manual. Looks like I need an assortment of shims to set the correct valve clearance. Any good place to buy these?

thanks
Yogi

twowheelertoy said:
Best bit of advise would be to buy a kawasaki service manual for your bike make sure it's for the right model ZX750 P1 (1996)

There about £40.00 ish but considering the damage you can inflict upon your ped there well worth it .

Every aspect of your bike is covered so future tasks should be easier even to the point of listing special tools needed and there part numbers.
:)
Kev

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can't answer about the best place for you to buy you don't say where your hiding out yogiaz.

Check all your valve clearances first because usually you can swop some around to reduce the amount of new ones you will have to purchase.

When you have found out how many new you require pop into your local Kwak dealer and they should keep them in stock !!

From the manual you will see they are measured in metric sizes.
They start at 2.50 upto 3.50 in .05 increments.

Make sure you keep a note of the sizes of the ones you remove and where from, If you get em mixed up "HELP"

Always balance the carbs after valve adjustment.

Kev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts