Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when do you need to adjust the valves on a 2009 zx6r. i just bought mine from a friend and he has it in the shop right now getting the valves adjusted because its still under warranty, but it only has 790 miles. he says every 400 miles but that seems like alot to me. does any one know how often or a sight that would tell me.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
well every 400 is def. a bit early ...lol personally i would check them at 3500-5000 then every 5000-8000 after that... on both of my zrx's ive checked them at 3500 and had alot of tight exhaust and few intake.... its a piece of mind for you to check them.... personally i think 20k is way to long to let valve adjustments go .......... some people get lucky and go 50k and have no tight valves, others go 10k and burnt valves from being tight..... your choice...

·
Registered
437 Posts
IF they need work already I would have them set the specs to the high end of the #'s. Getting a worse taste in my mouth about these new bikes: mine might not quite go light speed, but the are finally getting tight after 45K.....

Set them high, and check them in another 1K I would guess, see if they changed: maybe you will be lucky and the person who built the motor just set them tight. Know what? That would bother me too.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Thanks for the help. Not sure if I have the sirvice manual. Where do you get a new one?
The old KZs require a check every 5000mi. Definately recheck them within 1000 miles if you re-adjust. Kawasaki dealers can order your manual. PS. That dudes blowing smoke about the 400mi.:wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.