Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Ninja 250 and I just got my 500 mile service done. I was told that the valves were fine. According to my owner's manual the next time to check the valves is at the 6000 mile mark. Will they be o.k. for that length of time or should I check them sooner? Also, how can I tell if they are going out of adjustment? Thanks.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hey tofastgt.
When in doubt, do what the manual says. If you doubt the Owner's Manual, get the Service Manual, which you can also get at the dealership. Your valves will be fine until the 6000-mile service. If they start to get out of adjustment, you might hear a rapid ticking noise, but even that's really nothing to worry about.
These engines are bulletproof. My Dad has a Kawasaki Concours (which is basically two Ninja-500R engines glued together) with 70,000 miles on it. When I helped him adjust his valves a few years ago, I found that the previous mechanic who worked on it had reversed the intake and exhaust clearances on one side of the engine! This dealership mechanic had set the exhaust valves at the intake clearances and vice-versa on two of the cylinders! And my Pa had been riding around like this for more than 6000-miles.
When I set the clearances and synchronized his carburetors, he couldn't believe it was the same bike. This was more than 20,000 miles ago and his bike is still running strong.
So don't worry. Your engine will be just fine until you get to that 6,000-mile mark. Just ride her safely so you will be too.
-CCinC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts