Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On checking valve clearence on my '04 Ninja 250, I ran into an issue I need the ask about.
The manual, and supplelemt both say to rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise until the TDC mark alignes with the timing mark in the inspection window, then continue turing until the "1T" mark alignes with the mark in the inspection window.
My problem is that I have no "1T" . At that position, I can see a 1 followed by a very faint vertical line, followed by two horizontal lines (the upper line is longer then the lower line). I can also see an extreamly faint vertical line intersecting the horizontal lines, forming an F. If I further rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees, I see the "2T" mark (used for checking valve clearence on the #2 cylinder).
Has anyone else run into this? Should I use my "1 l F" mark for checking my clearences?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Simon said:
My problem is that I have no "1T" . At that position, I can see a 1 followed by a very faint vertical line, followed by two horizontal lines (the upper line is longer then the lower line). I can also see an extreamly faint vertical line intersecting the horizontal lines, forming an F. If I further rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees, I see the "2T" mark (used for checking valve clearence on the #2 cylinder).
Has anyone else run into this? Should I use my "1 l F" mark for checking my clearences?
T= TIMING
F= FIRING

line it up with the 1. you can also see that you are correct by the position of the cam lobes. they will BOTH be pointing outwards <> or straight up on the #1 cylinder (left side of bike) .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts