Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm adjusting the valves on the EX and I thought I'd pose the question: How much resistance should there be on the feeler gauges?

The idea that "looser is better" isn't lost on me, and I'm aiming for middle of the road as far as tolerance goes. The EX is .005-.007 on the intake and .007-.009 on the exhaust.

When using a .006 and .008 (respectively) on intake and exhaust, should there be any resistance? I was shown to adjust the locknuts to the point that a feeler gauge on the loose side of tolerance can JUST BARELY get in, but after asking around I think I was shown wrong as I'm more than likely compressing the springs and leaving the tolerances too tight.

Thanks for your opinions. I'm glad I have the bike at home to wrench on or I would have gone insane over the Christmas Break. :mrgreen:

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Well, with valve clearance you are trying to compress a valve spring which is VERY stiff. Your gauge is not going to compress it to any significant amount. I think with valve clearance:

If you can get the gauge through without great effort, then you have that clearance.

BTW: if you get a good feeler set with .0015, .002, .0025, .003 strips you can add guages to get more accurate reading of the gap (like a .0025 and .004 will give you an accurate .0065" gauge). If you are really concerned about knowing the gap, try that trick.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
8 and 10 don't go in. 6 and 8 FALL in with no resistance.
BTW: if you get a good feeler set with .0015, .002, .0025, .003 strips you can add guages to get more accurate reading of the gap (like a .0025 and .004 will give you an accurate .0065" gauge). If you are really concerned about knowing the gap, try that trick.

After 3 hours of playing around with the cheapie gauges (they only include .002-.006, .008, and .011 and up) and using different combos to get better measurements I've figured out exactly what you mean. 6 and 8 did slip in relatively easy with little resistance while 7 and 9 didn't. I think I dialed it in pretty well. My problem was I relied on the better set before and I wasn't quite sure that using a combo of gauges was accurate enough. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts