Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leaking valve cover gasket on my '79 kz1000 but I kooked at it and it looks like I'd have to pull the engine to get to it. Tell me it's not so and how can I do in the easiest way. I'm poor and can't afford to pay someone to do it for me.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Are you talking about the gasket on top of the engine? It's a bit of a pain to replace, but the shops never pulled engines for valve adjustment when the bikes came in for service.

I'd suggest replacing the rubber cam plugs(4) if you're going to replace the valve cover gasket. They get hard from age and heat leaking a little oil.

Now if the gasket is leaking for the cylinder head or the base gasket has developed a leak, then it's another story.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'll hold off untill I get the plugs. There'se alot of other thing to do on the bike that Ican take care of. I've been hitting Ebay hard lately and have a backlog of new parts to install. Thank you. This bike is my love and I want it to be perfect, but on my buget that may take awhile plus it's my only trasportation and I ride it every day.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
I have a leaking valve cover gasket on my '79 kz1000 but I kooked at it and it looks like I'd have to pull the engine to get to it. Tell me it's not so and how can I do in the easiest way. I'm poor and can't afford to pay someone to do it for me.
:wink: Its not so! Like StarGate said, pull the tank and coils,remove the the two air supply lines from the reed covers and the valve cover will be exposed for easy removal. And as Mike Folks suggested, new (OEM) rubber plugs and valve cover gasket should be ready to install. You may as well check your valve clearances while the cover is off and make any shim changes at that time. If you dont have a manual yet get one!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.