Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I am new to the forum, and I have purchased, recently, a brand new '09 Vulcan 900 Classic LT. Here's the question:

How can you tell if your bike needs a valve adjustment in the early stages?

I have well surpassed the suggested mileage for the first service (600 miles - I'm at 1,400 since I took the bike up to Ann Arbor and back from Indiana) and the bike seems to be operating great. I'm not noticing any differences in performance, and it feels good and broken in.

When it comes to hoses, the belt, etc... everything looks and feels good. I called the dealer and they said that for the first inspection and service it's like $100, and if the bike needs a valve adjustment it's another $150 on top of that.

I can do the oil change myself, no problem, and according to my resources-- mostly searching on the web -- it appears that the Service Manual says that a valve adjustment is usually recommended at 15,000 miles.

If you guess have advice on this, I'd be more than happy to hear it.

Thanks,
K

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Welcome and hang around a lot of good people here. As for valve adjustments yes they are at 15000. Not hard to do if you're mechanically inclined.

A valve adjustment isn't part of the 600 mile service. Its just a glorified oil change in my opinion.

Get yourself a copy of the service manual its great info!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts