Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the cheapest place to order shims for a valve adjustment? This is all new to me because everything else I own can be adjusted with a screwdriver and a wrench. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Try Partzilla or EB. You might be able to swap shims at the Kawasaki dealer >> I've heard of guys doing this, but I have no idea how common that is any more. And just in case you aren't aware, you might able able to swap around your shims to minimize the number of shims that would need to be purchased.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I got mine from Z1 Enterprises at $4.83 each. Martin is correct that some dealers will allow you to exchange your old shim for one of their old shims at no charge. I think it depends on how well you know your dealer. My Kawi dealer said no, but the Yam-Suz dealer said ok. Guess which one I know better? FYI Yamaha and Kawi both use the same size shim if you are using the large 29 mm ones. Suzuki shims are 29.5 mm. You did not provide a bike model or year and there are at least two different sizes of shims that I know of. Hopefully you have the large shims that can be replaced without removing the camshafts.

·
Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
I use the Pro-X brand purchased individually from rocky mountain atv. The normal shim kit comes in .05 mm increments but the Pro-X ones are half that, .025 mm. Makes it a lot easier to htr the clearance I want. Just Google them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I went on the Pro-X website hoping to score a valve shim kit for my 29 mm shims but it seems they don't offer this size.
The kits that I have found from other manufacturers are priced at around $100. :( So it is cheaper for me to order the individual shims I need at less than $5 per shim. I don't use my bike on a daily basis, so its not that big a bother to let it sit there while I wait for the shims to arrive. I cannot believe that some places are charging up to $25 per shim. It pays to shop around.

·
Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
A valve shim kit is a huge waste of money! a specific bike model usually uses a specific range of shims, the rest in the kit are never used for anything. Don't ever buy a kit, just take the time to do the measuring, document clearly what you need where, and order what you need. Yes it takes longer but you'll save big bucks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It is difficult to help Lhemrick without knowing what kind of bike he needs shims for. If for instance, he has a KZ650 that uses "shims under the bucket" which requires removal of cams in order to change shims, then swapping shims around in the head is very easy. On the other hand if he has a Z-1 or KZ900 or any of the other "shim on top of bucket" bikes, then he will need a dummy shim since only one shim can be pulled out at a time since it is not advisable to rotate the cams without a shim in place.

What I do, is keep a written record of the location and size of each shim in the cylinder head. This is a good idea regardless of shim-under or shim-on-top bikes. After checking valve clearance and determining what sizes are needed, a quick scan of the record will show if any shims can be swapped around in the head and which shims will have to be ordered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts