Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some of you guys may already know that i have been battling with burning oil at the start up that clears up and runs great. well, i noticed today that my intake valves are wet with oil. what does that mean and how can that be fixed?

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
some of you guys may already know that i have been battling with burning oil at the start up that clears up and runs great. well, i noticed today that my intake valves are wet with oil. what does that mean and how can that be fixed?
I just had to overhaul my engine because of this. It is indeed valve stem oil seals. My valves were leaking oil so bad it was fouling the plugs on a daily basis.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Pull the head, take it to a good machine shop (like whatever one the local bike dealers farm their head work out to) and set it on the guy's desk and say:

"FIX, PLEASE!"

They know exactly how to do it all.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reply. people told me valve steams is a possibility but i didnt notice that the valves were wet until today. i was only going off how it ran. so my memory is not short, i just explained exactly what i found today to give me that added sense of security knowing that this is truely the problem.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The valve stem oil seals are there to control the amount of oil to the valve guides. If the guides are worn, you can get oiling issues similar to bad seals Since I don't have any info on your bike, just wanted to toss that out. To swap the valve stem oil seals which ARE likely the cause of the issue (would still check for play in the guides), you need a valve spring compressor. You compress the valve assembly and remove the split keepers and then just pull the parts out. The valve stem oil seal then slips onto the end of the guide. It isn't hard to do. In your case, if your cylinder head has been getting a lot of oil, you would do will to clean the combustion chambers (wire wheel disk - fine and/or brass is best) and lap in the valves after re-assembling them into the head. It is best to keep all parts from a specific valve well together because you won't have to re-shim when you reassemble.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool thanks for the advice. i have done valve work on cars a thousand times before but never on a bike. from the description it is the exact same as a car so thats good. thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts