Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pretty much decided on the V&H Big Shot pipes for my mean streak. I like the look. The problem is I haven't been able to find anyone around here yet with V&H pipes. Not that many bikes out this time of year. I was wondering about the noise level. More noise is ok. I don't want loud. I was told that they get a bit louder with power rolled on but it is not offensive.

They offer Quiet baffles for extra money. Are they worth it?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have those pipes with the stock baffles and they don't seem so loud to me. But I ride with a FF helmet and with earplugs. And I have not heard those pipes with the quiet baffles so I am not able to compare the two. Sorry, not much help to ya.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The purpose of this video was actually to show someone the FI/oil lights during startup, but you can hear the pipes pretty well.

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/vulcan/1600startup.mpg

I LOVED the sound of the original baffles, but they WERE pretty loud... to the point that when I left for a ride before sunrise I would push the bike out of my condo complex and into the street before starting and warming up.
With the quiet baffles, it is possible to carry on a conversation standing next to the bike, but by comparison, I'd say ther quiet baffles are still well over 90db (based on comparison with my dirtbike, pipe rated 96db).

·
Registered
389 Posts
A vote for Quiet

I never thought I'd say this but I have to cast my vote for the quiet baffles. I have a Marauder 1600 and just put a set of the V&H Big Shots on within the last month. They have the quiet baffles and in my opinion they are the perfect sound.

A neighbor across the street has a set of the Big Shots and I've also heard other Kawasaki 1600's with them. With the regular baffles they are plenty loud. I wouldn't term them too loud but they are right on the edge of making just a little more noise than I would like.

If nothing else try them with the stock baffles and see what you think. If you want something a little more mellow...go with the quiet baffles.

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was imformed at the Kawasaki dealer that the I could wrap the stock V&H baffles with fiberglass wrapping ($7.00) and get the same effect as the quiet baffles that come with a fiberglass wrapping. He said that the stock baffles come without any wrapping. With or without had no effect on exhaust flow because the wrapping is outside of the flow and is design to just absorb some of the sound.

Sounds like the truth to me.... any thoughts or experiences?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Find another dealer, this guy is pulling this out of his a$$ and/or has never seen the stock V&H baffles from the Bigshots/Longshots/Straightshots.
The stock V&H baffles have only a couple of mm clearance between the openings in the baffles and the inside of the pipe... you'd never get a wrap around it on the "Shots" series. The baggers for the Nomad are different and DO have room, however, they still will not be as "quiet" (comparative term there, the quiet baffles aren't very quiet).

The quiet baffles have the baffle area itself choked down probably 1/2" diameter smaller than the standard baffles (which provides about 1/4" around them for their packing), plus there is a short extension in the front of the baffle that is unwrapped, perforated around the pipe to allow gasses to enter, and with a domed "cap" on the front.
The gasses have to pass over this "dome" and are forced into the 1/4" wide area between the baffle and the inside of the pipe.

Even wrapping the Nomad's baggers is not as quiet as the quiet baffles. Some people are purchasing a 2nd set of baffles, cutting the Baggers stock baffles, and welding in an extension from the spare set, making them a bit longer. These are probably almost as quiet, and certainly less restrictive than the Quiet baffles.

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rich, I'll go with the quiet baffles from V&H. It's really not that much more money compared to the hassle of trying to make something work that, in the end, won't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts