Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Trucker
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Vance & Hines Dual Baggers on my Nomad, and I'm pretty sure there is an annoying rattle somehow associated with them.

I don't hear the rattle when it's at idle, and if I engage the clutch while rolling, the rattle goes away.

Anyone had, have, or heard of this issue before? Know of a fix?

Thanks in advance.

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
Could be the baffles rattling. I had that problem last year when I installed my V&H Slash Cut Staggered pipes. The rattling sound could be heard on deceleration.

I called their customer service, told them the problem and they sent me a couple of new bolts that hold the baffles in place. The new bolts were a little longer than the ones that were originally installed.

The cause of the rattle was due to damaged threads on the retaining nut on one of the baffles, so the bolt wasn't installed properly causing the baffles to rattle. I tapped the threads and installed the new bolt.

If this is remotely like the route you take, I would suggest some threadlock. I wish I had thought of it at the time, but I have had no problems in the past 11.5 months.

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
I had V & H pipes on a 1500 Classic. There were reports of a rattle back then too but it was not b/c the mount screws were loose. It was b/c the baffles would, over time, crack and rattle. Pull yours out and inspect them carefully.

·
Super Trucker
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My baffles are brand new, and there seems to be a very tight fit into the pipes.

The sounds similar to what you'd imagine a loose and rattling washer sounding like. More of a high-pitch rattle.

I've tried kneeling on the ground while twisting the throttle, but haven't been able to pinpoint where it's coming from. I guess I'll have to find someone to twist the throttle while I can get real close to the source.

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
My baffles are brand new, and there seems to be a very tight fit into the pipes.

The sounds similar to what you'd imagine a loose and rattling washer sounding like. More of a high-pitch rattle.

I've tried kneeling on the ground while twisting the throttle, but haven't been able to pinpoint where it's coming from. I guess I'll have to find someone to twist the throttle while I can get real close to the source.
What you are describing is exactly what was used back then. Everyone then said the baffles weren't loose but rather that they were rubbing, like a cricket's wings do, more of a chirping sound.

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
It's metal to metal and I believe there is some cricket rubbing going on. If I take my Vand H quiet baffles off and put the originals back on, I will certainly wrap them first.

·
Not so Ole Fart
326 Posts
I have Vance & Hines Dual Baggers on my Nomad, and I'm pretty sure there is an annoying rattle somehow associated with them.

I don't hear the rattle when it's at idle, and if I engage the clutch while rolling, the rattle goes away.

Anyone had, have, or heard of this issue before? Know of a fix?

Thanks in advance.
Make sure all the clamps holding the heat shields are tight, and none are broken. I had the same problem, had to replace two clamps.

·
Super Trucker
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do they V&H's have heat shields? My Cobra's do and I had a heat shield that was rattling against the pipe and was noisy at certain times.
Yes, they have the heat shields. I'm going to take a closer look.

Make sure all the clamps holding the heat shields are tight, and none are broken. I had the same problem, had to replace two clamps.
I very well could be having the same issue. I will check them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
had same issue on mine, turned out the standoff between the pipe and the heatshield was broken near the engine, had to pull the pipes and reweld them back up, now it's good to go, but it was annoying in the meantime...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.