Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the ride was great until now. i walked into a restaurant to get some food to go. i walked outside to find my bike laying on its side. as i angerly inspected my bike, the fear i had rang true. my front fender had a gash in it that rubbing compound can not fix. i checked with www.colorrite.com and viewed the possibilities of self-repair. has anyone tried this? i have to make a decision between getting a touch-up kit where you can use a brush of base and brush of clear coat or a kit with brush and spray clear coat. anyone tried these on gashes? bummed. fulltilt

·
Registered
70 Posts
I feel your pain!

I dont know anything about paint and cant help you! But I also had my bike on its side. Kaw 2001 vulcan 1500. I had it one week and it wouldnt start. Had to get my trailer to get it home. After loading it I climbed into the back of my truck to get the tie down straps and saw the bike roll back off the trailer and lay down!!!! I got lucky!! The throttle grip got crusted and the exhaust pipe got scratched, the paint was saved and I have custom paint! It still looks great but I think of that time a lot! 70.00 for grips and 35.00 to fix the electric problem, and one heart attack!!! I wish you luck with your paint :!: ;-)

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Sorry fulltilt about the damages. It made me cringe reading about it. :(

I have never used the products described.....but I would think if you go that route....maybe a little practice session may help you produce the needed results when you do the job? I've never tried brushing on paint and clear coat....and personally I would lean toward spraying as it has always produced better results for me in the end. But again....since I have not used the brush on products....I have no opinion to offer about that. Maybe it's a well developed product and works just fine? I would be calling and talking with the folks there to see what information they could offer about both products.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i feel your pain also. i was putting on my new exhaust and my bike came off the center stand. luckly i caught it and held it up about a 1ft off the ground till i couldnt hold any longer and felt so helpless. almost no damage at all since i had the fairing and other things off. broke the ball off the brake handle and that was it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
black500r said:
broke the ball off the brake handle and that was it.
It would have to be the brake handle, it's $35.00 for a new one. The clutch is only $12.00.

Don't ask me why I know that. :oops:

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have used Color Rite before and was very happy with it.They have a couple of types a actual brush and the 2nd is like a marker.Some colors need a base coat then a top coat then clear.I have the pen type they work great on chips,have not used on a big scracth or gouge.My friend just got a big scracth in his bike I told him to get Color Rite for it and let me do it.Make sure to allow enough dry time between coats & maybe pratice first on something else then do the scracth.

Good luck...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well thank God someone made this post. I laid my bike down 2 days ago. Our city road crew was working on a road I cut through frequently and had spilled sand and gravel all over the road:mad: . I hit the sand and lost control of my bike when the back end lost traction. Thank God I was only going 20-25mph when it happend. Now my 03 RR that I been trying to keep nice is scratched to heck. I'm gonna give that colorrite a try. Thanks for the tip.:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Iam a painter. you can sand your fender prime it base coat it and clearcoat it
2-3 coats of clear. think about changing the color of your fender.it may look sweet.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That sucks. Here is my 2 Cents.
I am also a painter. I would steer clear of a touch up unless the area is not visable or very small. I would recomend you give color-rite a try. Chances you will never notice a difference even if the color is not perfect since the fender doesn't butt up against anything. stathe 6R had a idea if you wanted a different look, you could change the color. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This might help. At least you did not knock it over when someone a had a camera handy.(my father forgetting his kick stand)

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Odog said:
This might help. At least you did not knock it over when someone a had a camera handy.(my father forgetting his kick stand)

Hmmmm....I probably won't be riding with you since you seem to be quick with the shutter! LOL :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
apparently there is a slight misunderstanding. i didn't knock it over, a yellow car did. had i have done it, i probabally would have been even angrier. i'd given anything to have a picture of the culprit doing this. then, lights out, camera, action. fulltilt.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It would be easier just to blend the fender if you painted it yourself or take to the person that painted it, have him blend it. I can tell you from experience with painting that you will be able to notice it after you use a touchup brush. If the scratch is noticeable from a normal view then it will be real easy to see with the sun shining on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts