Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a relative newbie here. I recently bought an 81 kz1100 I haven't had much chance to ride as it is cold and rainy here now. Oh well, I can do some wrenching, goodie! Anyway, I just bought a Vetter 4 fairing from a guy that has a CB900 same year. (It's perfect, looks like it just came out of the box!) Nonetheless, the bracket for the Honda doesn't fit. Anyone have a source for Vetter brackets for Kaws? I have been looking on Fleabay. Thanks! Kevin

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot...everyone like pictures. Here are some from my new kz1100, bad pictures but I'll send some more when I get everything in place! Oh, BTW, you may notice that the right front motor mount doesn't fit. The guy I bought it from said that it was missing and he put what's there. Anyone have something to say about that? I am sure the bike was put down on the right side but I don't see any frame damage at all. I am thinking about having the piece manufactured (or make it myself) The bike rides nice with no noticeable steering/tracking probs. Thanks again! Kevin

·
Registered
29 Posts
craigvetter.com

I bought a vetter fairing from a discount-parts-surplus(read: junk) yard a while back, with brackets marked KZ1000. They didnt fit my shaftie, so after running for about 8 months with those brackets robbing me of 15 degrees of steering at either extreme, i made my own.
Summarized from vetter's website, 'no fairing brackets are marked, but any bracket will fit any fairing. all vetter fairings mount to the bracket in the same pattern. your best bet with a used vetter fairing is to buy it with the bracket installed on a bike of the same make and model as yours. failing that, you need to fabricate your own.' It isn't terribly difficult to do. I did it with two pairs of L-brackets from my hardware store and a couple of bolts. Yeah, i drilled the downtubes of my frame, but that is because My landlord won't let me weld in my garage.
I've got a couple shots of it here. I can provide a more detailed walkthrough if you wish, but i'll have to wait until the old lady's car aint in the garage. It takes up 99% of the garage, and i'm left with the 1% remaining for my bike. It fits, but i really can't work on it with the car in the way.

as far as the pics, the first should be a wide-view, the second a close-in from underneath, showing the bolt holding the vetter frame to the fairing and to the L-bracket. the third shows the small L-brackets which i bolted to the horn brackets. the last pic shows another underneath shot.
I took the original bracket and cut off all of the mounting braces on it with a power-reciprocating-saw. then i drilled holes to mount it to the horn placement. Then i heated the large L-brackets with a torch and bent them to make the top side flush with the fairing bracket bottom. The L-brackets were 90 degrees, which would have left a large gap between them and the vetter bracket, which could warp that bracket when i torque the bolt down. After i got the fairing bracket where i wanted it, i sawed the excess of the L-brackets off.

Vetter's website has good advice for making your own brackets. The short version is that the windshield should be parallel with the forks. also, if making your own, check and recheck that the bracket is level side-to-side. The front-back level is dependant on the winshield/fork parallel.

Attachments

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
You might try rotating the motor mount to see if it will line up with the holes. If that doesnt work, then thats either the wrong mount or the frame and/or engine was moved in the "lay-down" which is possible but doubtful. Nice bike! I have a fairing mount around here someplace, Ill post some pics of it once I locate it. My garage/shop is undergoing upgrades and I cant find anything right now!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Zoro, Rotating doesn't work. I was told that the mount was the wrong one but I wondered if something had been tweaked. I don't think so. Thanks Oryhara for the pics and advice will be helpfull. I have the original CB900 mount it looks like it is very close so I will try to modify that first. The main problem I see is that the mounts attach with hose clamps but the shafty has gussets welded to the frame.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Hey Zoro, Rotating doesn't work. I was told that the mount was the wrong one but I wondered if something had been tweaked. I don't think so. Thanks Oryhara for the pics and advice will be helpfull. I have the original CB900 mount it looks like it is very close so I will try to modify that first. The main problem I see is that the mounts attach with hose clamps but the shafty has gussets welded to the frame.
The motor mount can easily be made from a piece of stainless steel or aluminium plate 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick and polished to look like the $100 dollar mounts APE sells. As for the fairing mounts, they clamp to the frame directly below the gussets and use a threaded bar behind the front upper gusset. Ill brave the snow tomorrow and dig up my old fairing mount out of the shop.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I put a vetters SS from a 750 honda on my 750 ltd and used the same mount BUT had to re work it. my son has a 750 spector and i used his mount as a guide and reworked the honda one to fit the same. on the vetters web sight it says that the only one that are marked is the 750 and 1100 hondas. all the rest are not marked. so it you buy one off ebay it mite not fit! it all dependa if the seller knows what he has. best of luck Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts