Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read some posts that talk about a slight buzz or vibes comming from the engine at around 30-35 mph. I have felt it too. I asked a couple of people about this, including the guys at the kawasaki road show. Here is the short version... As the engine is revved up, it creates a harmonic wave. The counterbalancer is designed to counter this wave and thereby controlling the "shakes." There is a spot, somewhere in the rpm range (about 30-35 mph) that the counterbalancer does not completely counterbalance the harmonic wave of the engine, thereby allowing some buzz or vibes to be felt. On some bikes that "spot" is real high in the rpm range so it is rarely felt by the rider. On other bikes it may be really low in the rpm range and the rider just revs right through it, never noticing... Well, I don't know much about motorcycles now, but this sure seems like a convincing argument for why I felt a slight buzz from my meannie.

Tony

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I like this better than the "piston slap" explanation. This, along with valve train noise, lugging, etc., sounds more like what may be going on. My motor has had this since day one and after 1500 miles, it still does under the right conditions. If I get into the revs a bit while accelerating it never happens.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i think they all have it somewhere :lol:

my 800 does it and so does the 1600,at different rpm's though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts