Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep my mirrors still? The things vibrate so bad half the time all I can make out is the color of a car behind me. it's just a big blurry blob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No 1st hand experience here, but I've heard handlebar end weights (the heavier the better) help some. Have you tried them yet?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I haven't tried any, I didn't know they existed, but I had wondered if some heavy weights might help. I'll have to look into it

·
Registered
741 Posts
Here's a suggestion that some have used on dirt bikes/quads to dampen vibration; get a tube of silicone caulking ( the big tube that fits into a caulking gun) & fill your bar with it until it is completely full & running out both ends. It should not only help to dampen the mirrors but also your arms & hands on a long ride.
I have never had a problem with vibration or used this remedy so not sure whether one tube of silicone wll be enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Forgot to mention.....
Shorter stems on the mirrors will also help. If you put your finger on the bottom of the stem (arm) while you're driving, then slide it up the arm toward the mirror, you'll notice 10 times the vibration from the bottom to the top.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Silicone

IF your wires run through the handlebars...not a good idea...go with the bar ends...you will see all sorts of them even some that they call frame sliders...even though they go into the ends of the handlebars. Then again you could get better mirrors, depending upon what bike you are riding. If you look hard enough you can also find bar end mirrors...Polaris has them for ATV's and Suzuki used to use them on the 83/84 GS450S bikes. I'm sure that you can find them, if you look around some...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Z1 and prefer to keep the mirror at least looking some what stock. The mirrors I have are the shorter 4" stem rather than the stock 9" but they are the same style anyway. Maybe they are just cheap mirrors, the original stock mirrors seemed to not vibrate as much. I am not sure if I have any wires running thru the handlebar or not, but I don't think so. maybe I'll have to try the silicone trick.

Are the bar ebds your refering to something that go inside the end of the bar?

·
Registered
191 Posts
youve found it. those cheap aftermarket mirrors are horrible. They are good if you just need to pass inspection. There was a pair of ken shean mirrors on my gpz when i got it that were awful. I put a pair of zx6e mirrors on it and it was great. when i removed the upper i went with some bar end mirrors from emgo i believe. there are several out there if you do go with them get the heaviest ones possible. I dont agree with filling your bars with anything. The inner most silicone will not dry, it will stay liquid. The only thing that might help you if you want your shorter mirrors is to remove them and put some rubber sheeting (thin) where they bolt to the bars. You could also use rubber dampers where your bars bolt to the bike to help reduce vibration. Bar end weights come on every bike(dont know if the z1 had them stock) but you can get them in a variety of styles. If your bars are hollow on the end then you will need the kind with the rubber bushing that expands when you tighten them.

hope something in there helped

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Bar end sliders

Bar end sliders are avalable...but changing the mirrors to a shorter height will take much of the vibration out. Even if you are going to go pretty much stock you can still go with the shorter mirrors. If you are going to show it just change them out...but if they vibrate so much that you can barely see anything you might as well swap them. I had a pair of cheapie plastic round ones on my "S" bike and I swapped them out with really heavy really old one from the salvage yard nad they may be rectangular but I can even read license plates behind me now! (My "S" bike is a 2 stroke and at 55MPH I was having the same problem...)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Have you balanced your carbs?

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
I've noticed with my SR that still has stock gearing that the mirrors are clear at 55 and get quite blury at 62 (or so) and up. My assumption is that the gearing of the bike is for 55 and the higher speed limits we have these days have moved the cruising speed to where the engine vibration is more pronounced. I am going to try going up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket and see what that does to help the vibes.

- Nate >>

(nothing like a paragraph an English teacher would love to grade)

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
I had the same problems and all I did was to get shorts stems....

Heather

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine start to vibrate at about 5500 rpm, or about 75 mph. Around town that translates to no vibration at all unless you look in the mirror when you leave a light.
Sounds like Carbs to me, too. Just a little adds up at higher rpms.

Ride safe...God bless!

-Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts