Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out today riding around and stopped into Victory to check out their rides. Some look good, some a little space aged with the styling. Biggest observation however was the time spent with the salesman running down Harley Davidson. Keep saying the HD could not keep up with em. Should have asked him if the same Victory would be running way behind the V2K.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Was out today riding around and stopped into Victory to check out their rides. Some look good, some a little space aged with the styling. Biggest observation however was the time spent with the salesman running down Harley Davidson. Keep saying the HD could not keep up with em. Should have asked him if the same Victory would be running way behind the V2K.
Shoulda asked him about when you get ready to resell it how they keep up with HD... When I bought my new Dyna, I looked at Victory, there were new 06 models on the floor and the Salesman was just as you said, full of BS about Harley.

Ive been in Sales all my adult life, You never get ahead by running down competetion.

That being said they have some nice looking bikes.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
There's a local Suzuki dealer who did the same back when I bought the 900...it really is a turn-off hearing a salesman slamming the competition (makes it seem like their product can't stand on its own).

Local Victory dealer is pretty good...and I personally love the look of most of their bikes.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both local HD dealers have much better vibes in the dealership. They are like, "hop on that, see how it feels", "take one out for a ride".

I sat on a Cross Country, it felt good. Still think I prefer the Street Glide. I am not paying that much for either new though, so my option is used Glide, Ultra, or the Nomad w/ fairing.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
The Victory dealer I went to here also has Kawasaki and Yamaha. He was actually pushing the Yamaha over everything else, but he was not down on any bikes.

Some salespeople are better than others.......

I want to check out a Cross Country this spring. I rode the Street Glide last fall, and I like it but its doesn't fit me all that well. I'd have to do probably $3k in mods to get it comfortable. I want to see if the Victory is any better.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Our local dealer had demo rides on their Victories yesterday. I took a Kingpin for a spin. I personally really like the way the Victories look, and since this dealership carries just about everything except HD they weren't knocking anyone. Anyway, loved the extra HP and 6-speed tranny, and it handled nice, but I just don't care for the way the shaft drive feels. Nice bikes though.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I like the looks of the new Victory, the cross country I think it is, but any crusier that I would buy now would be well, it would be less than the V2K, performance wise, but if not, wow. I enjoy looking at what everyone has, but your right I hate it when a sales person runs down a competitor. It's ok to say I like our line better because of what we have available, but don't slam the other guys, everyone makes good bikes today.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Our local dealer had demo rides on their Victories yesterday. I took a Kingpin for a spin. I personally really like the way the Victories look, and since this dealership carries just about everything except HD they weren't knocking anyone. Anyway, loved the extra HP and 6-speed tranny, and it handled nice, but I just don't care for the way the shaft drive feels. Nice bikes though.
The Kingpin is belt drive:

The left side may look like a shaft...but thats just the swingarm.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
I like the Jackpot a lot. Too rich for my blood, though, and I love the power of the V2K.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Shoulda asked him about when you get ready to resell it how they keep up with HD... When I bought my new Dyna, I looked at Victory, there were new 06 models on the floor and the Salesman was just as you said, full of BS about Harley.

Ive been in Sales all my adult life, You never get ahead by running down competetion.
That being said they have some nice looking bikes.
I agree. I truly believe that there is not a big difference in reliablity between the major brands of motorcycles or cars. It still all comes down to personal choice.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
My friend Jeff just bought a new for 2010 Victory Cross Roads. It's essentially a Vision Chassis with roomier bags but without the the Vision garb. It is one really sweet bike but don't be expecting to feel the V-Twin pulse. These motors are so balanced they feel like a four cylinder. I enjoyed riding it that day. Very VERY balanced bike.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Victory prices are not that much different than aH/D to which I would buy the H/D for re-sale purposes.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Victory claims its resale is dead even with HD.

Its hard to check that claim as the information isn't as widely available as with cars and trucks...but hey, I'm sure they're 100% trustworthy people...right?

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
Victory prices are not that much different than aH/D to which I would buy the H/D for re-sale purposes.
I agree with that. I'd hesitate to buy a Victory new. I think they have the worst resale of any bike on the market, percentage wise. I've seen 2008 Vision Tours selling on eBay for $13k, initially a $23K bike when new.

But I test rode a Victory Vision twice and I did come away quite impressed. Very roomy and I can really stretch out. I am way too cramped on any Harley other than the Road Glide. Still, I'd say my next bike will be the V2K. Lot's of room, just like my 1600 Classic.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
Victory claims its resale is dead even with HD.

Its hard to check that claim as the information isn't as widely available as with cars and trucks...but hey, I'm sure they're 100% trustworthy people...right?
Just check what they are selling for on eBay. Not what they are asking, the ones that are selling at no reserve auctions. There's your honest market value.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Just check what they are selling for on eBay. Not what they are asking, the ones that are selling at no reserve auctions. There's your honest market value.
Actually, blue book values are far better for judging market value (though it still likely supports the theory that Victory's resale value isn't the best).

eBay is one single selling house with a relatively small portion of the bikes on the market. Case in point:

ZX14's on eBay: 15
ZX14's on CycleTrader: 700+ (though there are a number of Concours14's thrown in when doing a 'ZX14' keyword search :rolleyes: )

Blue book value is what your insurance company uses when evaluating what you should get should you total your bike (or it gets stolen, etc).

But like I said...I'm sure it supports the notion that Victory's resale isn't the best in the industry.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
Blue Book and is great for insurance purposes for they need a standard of reference. Dealers may use it for an estimated value for buying selling at retail. There's also NADA and Black Book among others. Cycle Trader lists bikes but doesn't tell you what the bike sold for. EBay gives you the private selling true market value since you actually get to see the sale go down which is what I am discussing.

If I am buying new, then of course a dealer is your only option and all things are equal except the final price. If I am buying used I would never buy from the dealer. While many are good, most are incompetent and will tell you anything to get the bike out the door. With the private seller you have the privilege of meeting the owner which is worth a lot to me. EBay offers you the added advantage of feedback. Again, added value.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Again, the only point is that eBay is not the market...its EXTREMELY small in comparison. Book values take into account sales from all corners of the market...including eBay (in addition to other auction houses, private sales, and dealer sales). Therefore, book values are far more accurate (as they include a larger sample size from multiple sources).

Don't forget, insurance companies are not in the business of losing money...they won't pay a dime more than they have to. Compare NADA and KBB values and you'll quickly see why insurance companies prefer NADA.

If you prefer eBay, thats fine...its a good source of product. But its not the entire market.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts