Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the Victory Kingpin (just looking), and I'm surprised by what seems to be huge depreciation. According to their website, a new one runs about 18K. But looking online I'm finding that prices/interest are way lower. For example, on this ebay sale they were selling a 2008 with 49 miles used, with an asking price of 10K, but bidding only got to $5100.

Victory:eBay Motors (item 280421821831 end time Nov-15-09 09:00:54 PST)

On this other one, which is still ongoing, a 2007 with 4k miles is only up to $6,100 so far.

Victory:eBay Motors (item 300366492306 end time Nov-19-09 10:52:57 PST)

So what gives, do they really lose that much going out the door? Is there something bad about them that makes owners want to sell them with 49 miles and buyers not want them?

At these prices, if one came up near my area I may just have to bid on it.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Victory has one of the top customer satisfaction rates of all motorcycle brands...so its not that people don't like them.

The drop in price is the economy. Experts can claim its improving all they want, but we're at 10% unemployment...with plenty more still afraid of losing their jobs. People aren't spending money on toys anymore (while many of us may not see a bike as a toy, most people do).

For quite a while, Victory was claiming to have resale values inline with the industry leader, but I'm not sure if that has held over the past year.

In any case, bad resale is a good thing for customers who don't need brand spanking new. I got my 07 ZX-14 new (0 miles) this year for the used blue book price. Definitely take advantage of a good deal if you see one and can afford it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I agree ^

Prices across the board are coming down on all brands. As said, this is the time to buy if you can afford. Take advantage of the good deals and tell everyone you're trying to help the economy.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yep, I'd have to say +1 on the economy. Victory owners are some of the happiest/most satisfied out there. That was one of the things that made me feel better about picking up my Kingpin...people don't have any major complaints about them.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of all their bikes, the Kingpin is the one that appeals the most to me. It has the classic cruiser look that attracted me to the VN900. I'm not really looking, but if I were to stumble upon one at the right price, I may just trade in the Vulcan.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The single flimsy disc up front isn't adequate for the weight and power of the bike. You might want to factor in the cost of getting the double-disc conversion kit installed.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
Just wondering if the resale market is low because Victory customers want new bikes. It would appear that the market segment are those most able to afford the price. The result would be that aftermarket demand is low. Compare that to traditional HD and much of their market can not afford the product when new.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been looking at the Victory Kingpin (just looking), and I'm surprised by what seems to be huge depreciation. According to their website, a new one runs about 18K. But looking online I'm finding that prices/interest are way lower. For example, on this ebay sale they were selling a 2008 with 49 miles used, with an asking price of 10K, but bidding only got to $5100.

Victory:eBay Motors (item 280421821831 end time Nov-15-09 09:00:54 PST)

On this other one, which is still ongoing, a 2007 with 4k miles is only up to $6,100 so far.

Victory:eBay Motors (item 300366492306 end time Nov-19-09 10:52:57 PST)

So what gives, do they really lose that much going out the door? Is there something bad about them that makes owners want to sell them with 49 miles and buyers not want them?

At these prices, if one came up near my area I may just have to bid on it.
I've been watching an ebay auction for a new '09 Vulcan 1700 Classic. The auction ends in 3 hours and the bike is at $7,800. The dealer offered it last week for $8,999 and got no bids. This is for a bike with an MSRP of $12,299-- and going up to $12,999 in 2010.

Nothing wrong with Victory. Prices seem to be down on all brands. At these prices though it doesn't make much sense to pay MSRP for a new one.

windman

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
The single flimsy disc up front isn't adequate for the weight and power of the bike. You might want to factor in the cost of getting the double-disc conversion kit installed.
According to most reviews, it does the job, but that was the biggest factor turning me away from one back in June.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The double disc on the Hammer is more than up to the job.

A friend of mine test rode the Vegas 8 Ball when I test rode the Hammer and the lack of braking power of the Vegas was the first thing he commented on.

Another guy I know has a Cory Ness Vegas Jackpot and he's planning on getting the brake upgrade, even though it'll spoil the view of that lovely front wheel.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
The double disc on the Hammer is more than up to the job.

A friend of mine test rode the Vegas 8 Ball when I test rode the Hammer and the lack of braking power of the Vegas was the first thing he commented on.

Another guy I know has a Cory Ness Vegas Jackpot and he's planning on getting the brake upgrade, even though it'll spoil the view of that lovely front wheel.
Those are perdy [drool :mrgreen: ]...but its good to see safety comes first.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
If I ever trade up again I doubt weather I will buy new, even as the economy improves there are going to be a lot of good low mileage deals out there.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You can't go by what things get bid on on eBay for a value. Just because something was big $5K doesn't mean it hit reserve. That one has 2 days left.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The '09 1700 Classic I was watching sold for $7,802.00 (+ $500 dealer fee). That's deal no matter how you look at it.

windman

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
The '09 1700 Classic I was watching sold for $7,802.00 (+ $500 dealer fee). That's deal no matter how you look at it.

windman

Wow! That winner will be partying everyday until it shows up.

I don't care for them, but that is a great deal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Some good deals can certainly be had on ebay. I just took delivery of my 09 Jackpot last night, brand new for $11k. I've never seen one go that low before.

I'm going to head over to the classified section tonight and list my Mean Streak.

·
Registered
290 Posts
According to most reviews, it does the job, but that was the biggest factor turning me away from one back in June.
The brake thing is interesting to me. I had a VN1500 with a single disc up front and never had any problems coming to a stop. Now I have a Kingpin, again with a single disc up front, and still have no problems stopping. The Kingpin does stop better than the 1500, but I have never had a problem coming to a stop. If I wanted to stop faster I pulled the lever harder. :lol: Maybe it's just because I've never ridden a dual-disc setup??

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
The brake thing is interesting to me. I had a VN1500 with a single disc up front and never had any problems coming to a stop. Now I have a Kingpin, again with a single disc up front, and still have no problems stopping. The Kingpin does stop better than the 1500, but I have never had a problem coming to a stop. If I wanted to stop faster I pulled the lever harder. :lol: Maybe it's just because I've never ridden a dual-disc setup??
Probably. People thought drum brakes were adequate until they experienced disc brakes. I thought my 900 Custom was adequate until I experienced my ZX-14's brakes (Holy freaking :shock: )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts