Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning a rebuild project for an early model mule. I am not real knowledgeable about these models, but from what I can learn here and in other forums the mule I have is probably a 88-91 model. The engine is a twin cylinder(side by side), and the drive train is all enclosed in a common case.

I have locate the VIN plate but the number is just not readable. I do have the engine number, AF450BE004325. Before I start investigating what is wrong with the machine, cost to repair, I am thinking I have got to get the chassis VIN number identified.

I would appreciate opinions, suggestions, and advice. I'm retired so I have time to work up a good cost estimate before I get upside down with the beast.

Thanks again,

Bartles

·
Registered
968 Posts
If the engine is a parallel twin, it's a Mule 1000 for sure. It was the only Mule that had a parallel twin. 454cc. Model number would be KAF450-B1.

Just an FYI for everyone, the engine number is useless as Kawasaki did not track the engine numbers. Only the frame-stamped VIN. Besides, it was (and still isn't) uncommon to find a machine that has been victim of an engine change at one point.

The old Mule 1000's have quite a few parts that are NLA (no longer available) from kawasaki. Just went through this with a friend's Mule 1000. They're not fun to do engine work on them either. Everything is packed in there, it's a big engine assembly, everything is hard to get to, parts becoming obsolete....the one I was working on got pieced back together with a note to the owner-do not bring it back. Too much of a headache!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input......I am going to determine what is wrong, get a parts cost estimate put together, then decide if its worth the trouble.

Just one more thought.......... judging from used parts prices I see on E-Bay, and of course, if those parts eventually move, would there be any suggestions
Where/who might be interested in the salvageable parts? The asking prices/bidding prices listed are hefty!

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Welcome to the forum High60. Can I ask why you need the engine numbers? It won't help with parts identification as post #2 above explains.

"...the engine number is useless as Kawasaki did not track the engine numbers."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts