Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vintage 1970 Suzuki TS250 single two stroke, oil injection....anyway! I have an ignition switch with OFF//DAY//NIGHT settings. I didn't know this till the other day when I bought her and finally got her started after a two year vacation in somebodies back yard. After I blew out all the bulbs...I bought a Clymers manual (Suzuki doesn't have a regular service manual). With a rectifier tapped for daytime use my brakelight and turn signals work...night and tail lamp and headlight are also on...Page 70 says that if you blow the headlamp 25Watt that you are most certain to burn out the rest of the lights due to an overvoltage situation that is now present. REally! So this is EXACLY what I did. SO, IF I replace all of my lamps with LED's (Current not Voltage now is important...) the NAPA guys just laughed at me...am I out of my mind thinking that I can use a Zener Diode in line to restrict the voltage (aprox 9Vat 6,000RPM) in my 6 volt system will work? I'm an electronics technician, but I'm blown away by this situation. Perhaps going directly off of my battery (filter) then through a relay I could run all of my lights and not wory about them...Other than going t an old type voltage regulator like on the antique cars...and setting the regulatior at about 7.2-7.5Vdc...how do I get around a Magneto based system..or use it to my advantage?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmm

I may have an answer but I need to do a bit of research...

Also try your post in an aircraft group...They would certainly know...until then...

Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 1975 2-stroke street bike(Yamaha but same concept). Pull the headlight out of the housing and make sure first off none of your wiring is butchered. Mine was like Helen Keller wired mine. I too have the switch that allows the lights to be on or off while bike is running at my discretion. If you first find all wiring in the headlight housing is in good shape(they are jammed in there), there are a few old bike shops that still have bone yards out back to scavenge some parts for you. Also, micro fisce can be purchased at the Dealer and any shop can then find the part #'s you may need for you. Good luck! I actually found a co. that made a full CDI(including all wiring/replacing all stock wires) and did away with my points. All comes down to time ..... and money of course.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vintage...

I have the wiring all spliced into already...so I have to complete the removing of th old and see what I really have under all that lose tape as well as loose wires wrapped several times around a splice cleared portion of the main wiring harness. I currently have loooked into the headlight area ans sen that the Hi/Lo wires are both splice together and then run up to the single element Socket...where a single element bulb (blown) is inserted. 25W isn't a lot of power, but if that is all it takes to make it legal again....at least till I get my own tags (30 days for transfer here in KS). I may just go the LED's for everything and then find the right bulb for the headlamp... I just need this vintage for daily riding...Therapy...stress and physical therapy....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts