Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to instal a winch to the Teryx and the MXViper 5000 was selected. Although the instruction sheet from Viper was only marginally useful (covered the 4500 and smaller) the winch was mounted where it belongs. I decided to mount the switch and remote power coupler in the dash itself. I think it turned out pretty sanitary.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it was a royal pain to do, but I like the installation ... looks clean all buttoned up.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Ken, that turned out very professional. Who would have thought that much work would be involved installing the winch? Still...you did a great job! Have you pulled the Rex out of a ditch yet to test it? :)

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ken, that turned out very professional. Who would have thought that much work would be involved installing the winch? Still...you did a great job! Have you pulled the Rex out of a ditch yet to test it? :)
Thank you Cary. Haven't had a chance to take it anyplace yet to get it stuck, but if I do put it in a ditch I'll let you know ;-)

I did do a bunch of extra work just to protect the wiring and mount the switches, that work will pay off as opposed to having stuff short out later ... I hope :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was the rocker dash switch mounted in that bracket or did you fabricate that? I had to cut a rectangle hole in my dash to mount mine,

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your installation looks good. On mine I used part of the original handlebar mount the switch was already mounted in, cut a tight rectangular hole, and after tightening up the one screw used black silicone seal around the edges. It is really solid in that dash.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good idea Motoalliance, when I installed my Viper 4500 max, your instructions would have helped with pics like that..But after I disassembled my rex for the winch install I did mine much the same as Lobo..

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peter ... just sent you a PM.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow Ken,
Wish I had read this before I put my Viper 4000 in. I didn't think to route the big cables to the winch thru the center tunnel. I like your way much better and will redo mine as I really don't like being able to see those yellow and blue wires.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I strongly recommend any and all wiring be protected by the skid plates. Here, it isn't unusual to have the skid plates roll over rocks that can easily crush or cut wiring. It seems the sagebrush also has a life long mission to grab wires and rip them out. It is a bigger job to route the wires thru that tunnel (pay close attention to keep the wires away from the exhaust and driveline), but you will be very glad you did in the long run, especially if you do any real desert riding. As you can see in the below picture exposed wires wouldn't last long here.

Wow Ken,
Wish I had read this before I put my Viper 4000 in. I didn't think to route the big cables to the winch thru the center tunnel. I like your way much better and will redo mine as I really don't like being able to see those yellow and blue wires.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I live and ride near Bouse, AZ. The desert in your picture looks very similar to ours. The Parker 400 mile race comes within a mile of my house. Can be as rough as you want to make it there.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have watched the Parker 400 a few times, very similar country. As much as I would love to participate in those races my body and pocket book just couldn't handle that, but it would sure be fun in the Teryx with a few modifications :)

I live and ride near Bouse, AZ. The desert in your picture looks very similar to ours. The Parker 400 mile race comes within a mile of my house. Can be as rough as you want to make it there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not too far from Carson City, come watch we have a great spot to see it from.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts