like it on the flat streches.

wondered if anyone has installed it on the 1600 -looks like kind of a PITA
to install but i'll try to get it on next week-

wanna use it on my trip next week to free up the throttle hand every once
in a while to wave at the girls in convertibles :twisted:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I saw one today at a Harley shop along with some Kuryakyn ISO-Grip's & a throttle boss.

Really liked the feel & style of the Kuryakyn grips & throttle boss, but would like to find out more about how the throttle boss is compared to a Vista Cruise before getting anything.

Also think I might just have to get some kind of leather lace thingies for the grips, saw swveral pairs on bikes at the Harley shop & they look cool :p :p :p

·
Registered
837 Posts
hey bike...let me know how you like it..i have been lookin at some of them also just dont know which would be better..

·
Registered
137 Posts
RampRat said:
Really liked the feel & style of the Kuryakyn grips & throttle boss, but would like to find out more about how the throttle boss is compared to a Vista Cruise before getting anything.
Rat, do you mean the thing that sticks out from the grip, you push it with the heel of your hand? (Throttle boss?) I believe you still have to maintain contact with the device to maintain throttle position, althought it takes the 'gripping' element out of extended driving. Another one that works O.K. and comes on and off easily is the Throttle Rocker.
Some years ago, I had an 1100 Goldwing which had a device very similar to the Vista Cruise in it's operation, a lever that cammed a grip on the thottle housing. Works great for temporary removal of hand from grip, you can shake some blood into your fingers, pick your nose, whatever. The only drawback is you loose speed on the uphills and go like a bat on the downgrades :p :p

·
Registered
302 Posts
VISTA CRUISE

I HAVE ONE ON MY 1500 CLASSIC AND IT WORKS GREAT. IT IS A PITA TO INSTALL AND THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE PISS POOR. ONE THING YOU WILL NEDD TO WATCH CAREFULLY UNTIL YOU ARE USE TO HOW TO FULLY ADJUST IT IS THAT IF THE ALLEN SCREWS THAT GO AROUND IT ARE TOO TIGHT IT WILL STICK OR HESITATE TO RELEASE. I SET THE SPRING LOADED LOCK ON MINE JUST TIGHT ENOUGH TO HOLD SO IF I NEED TO I CAN INC OR DEC SPEED EASILY WITHOUT HAVING TO FLIP IT UP WITH MY THUMB. TRIMING THE GASKET TYPE FILLER IS THE BIGGEST PITA BUT TAKE YOUR TIME AND IT WILL WORK FINE.
GOOD LUCK, RIDE SAFE
LONESTAR

·
Registered
272 Posts
x-wing said:
Rat, do you mean the thing that sticks out from the grip, you push it with the heel of your hand? (Throttle boss?) I believe you still have to maintain contact with the device to maintain throttle position, althought it takes the 'gripping' element out of extended driving. Another one that works O.K. and comes on and off easily is the Throttle Rocker.
Some years ago, I had an 1100 Goldwing which had a device very similar to the Vista Cruise in it's operation, a lever that cammed a grip on the thottle housing. Works great for temporary removal of hand from grip, you can shake some blood into your fingers, pick your nose, whatever. The only drawback is you loose speed on the uphills and go like a bat on the downgrades :p :p
Yep, that's the thing I'm yacking about. It's almost the exact same thing as the Throttle Rocker except it's metal and you attach it to the throttle so it's always there.
The throttle rocker looks intersting in that you can remove it when you don't want it on.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re

yup,there are a couple out there,thought i'd try this one cause its cheap
and i've seen it on a few bikes and it seems to work pretty good

i tried it on a vtx1800 the other day and it was easy to operate if its adjusted right like lonestar said- looks like i gotta move the control housing a little bit
to get the ring in there. i've got leather covers with fringe over my stock grips so i may have to remove those to make it work right,so you know what that means-NEW GRIPS :twisted: - kury has those caps for the ends with fringe so i can still look like roy rodgers :lol:

dang-i need mo' money :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
re

yea -saw the flipalever but i got this thing real cheap still in the package :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Bike I have throttle lock on my 1600, works great on long rides to give the hand and wrist a break. Like you say you can wave at the ladies in the convertibles when you are passing, but if you are maried like me, just never forget that your wife is riding on back : :evil:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
re

troy-did you install it? i haven't got around to it yet but it looks like i gotta slide the controls
over a bit-was there any problems on installation?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got back to Salt Lake City from Pensacola on my new meanstreak and my only additions have been the Kuryakyn grips with throttle boss, vista universal and some hwy pegs. If using the kuryakyn grips you'll have about 30 min to an hour install as you'll have to sand down the inside of the friction collar. There are a couple good web pages for this online. The throttle boss is great with the grips and they too help out a lot on a long ride. To answer your earliter question, the throttle lock is a quality tool and if you already have it why not throw it on. I'm sure it will even work with the grips you have now with a few mods to the ring. I've even seen a web page where a guy mounted it under the throttle housing so it wasn't an eye sore. I don't find mine to be one, but to each his own.

Best of all,
with a throttle lock you can wave at other bikes with your right hand as you fly by.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
re

i bumped this back up to say:

i shoudl've listened to lone star :lol:
this vista throttle although it works came off today and went in the trash :lol:
i had to keep adjusting the screw to keep the tension just right-got tired of "screwing"
with it :?

went and a got a flip-a-lever - now that's a throttle lock :lol:
took about 1 min to install :lol: works great

imo-its the way to go :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Vista Cruise

I just installed a Vista Cruise on my VN750... Either they have revised their instructions or I'm very good at figuring out things, but installation was a piece of cake... Took about 30 minutes, because I had the 1" model and really needed the 7/8" model... and also the step that took the longest was grinding off the nubbies from my throttle barrel that were used to engage the indents in the stock grips.

·
Registered
37 Posts
sorry about the bad advise. Mine still works great for now, but if I ever do need a new one I will look into the flip lever.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Just thought you guys might like another option for a thottle lock. It`s called a clever lever web page is www.redmond innovations.com I`ve put it on both my 800 and my wifes 500, installed in about 30 to 45 min. Dwaine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts