Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to locate the correct paint code to match the factory paint "vivid yellow" for my '75 G4TR-E. Here is a pic of what this colour looks like (orange), photo from the internet:

I've contacted Kawasaki but they haven't been much help. I've googled it and a "vivid yellow" paint code "789" comes up but it's a lime yellow-green, probably a more recent Kawasaki colour.

If I can locate a colour swatch (or a paint code) I should be able to get a paint shop to match it. I've been sending emails and combing the internet, any advice?

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
Is there any area of the tank where the paint is reasonably unfaded?
I have never found a list of paint codes for vintage Kawis. Would love to find one though.

Here are three options off the top of my head:

Take your tank into a paint store and see if they can scan and colour match it with their computer.
Take your tank to an automotive paint shop. A good shop can match paints pretty closely.
Search the internet for vintage motorcycle paint shops. I have seen some astounding work from these guys but they are not cheap.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any area of the tank where the paint is reasonably unfaded?
I have never found a list of paint codes for vintage Kawis. Would love to find one though.

Here are three options off the top of my head:

Take your tank into a paint store and see if they can scan and colour match it with their computer.
Take your tank to an automotive paint shop. A good shop can match paints pretty closely.
Search the internet for vintage motorcycle paint shops. I have seen some astounding work from these guys but they are not cheap.
The tank was painted a burgundy colour, I want to restore it back to factory "vivid yellow". The best I can find are photos of the factory bike tank:

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
Look at it this way, if there is no colour code and no colour swatch, who is to say you don't have the perfect match? 😁

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look at it this way, if there is no colour code and no colour swatch, who is to say you don't have the perfect match? 😁
I guess it's my obsessive-compulsive disorder popping through 😜. I'm trying to fix the bike back to factory condition, I will have to determine what is "good enough". I keep telling myself "it's not a show bike".

I like to fix things if I see it's broken. It bugs me when something is broken or not right.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
There are no Kawasaki paint codes from back in the day. Additionally, the paint process Kawasaki used probably can't be replicated either. Also, sometimes there was variance in the color when new. not like nowadays when every yellow tank will be identical to the next. Pretty much the best you can do has already been suggested, but you could try Paintworkz. He has posted some old paint charts (from Kawasaki & also Lubritech I think) but they aren't really useful for buying paint. The layering process on the Kawasaki triples is kind of interesting, though. not sure if your tank would have been done the same.

ps: for color matching, if you don't have a part to scan, you might could buy a good condition spare part on EB. maybe an oil tank if you can find one?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are no Kawasaki paint codes from back in the day. Additionally, the paint process Kawasaki used probably can't be replicated either. Also, sometimes there was variance in the color when new. not like nowadays when every yellow tank will be identical to the next. Pretty much the best you can do has already been suggested, but you could try Paintworkz. He has posted some old paint charts (from Kawasaki & also Lubritech I think) but they aren't really useful for buying paint. The layering process on the Kawasaki triples is kind of interesting, though. not sure if your tank would have been done the same.

ps: for color matching, if you don't have a part to scan, you might could buy a good condition spare part on EB. maybe an oil tank if you can find one?
I just sent Ralph from paintwork.com an email to inquire. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ralph responded:

"I do not have a match for that color. The old Lubri-Tech chart says it is a strong white base and a Candy top coat, no mid coat flake or pearl. In PPG that candy would be a DMX 210 yellow with a little DMX 211 orange mixed in DBC500 blending clear. Trial and error on the ratio of 210 and 211 to get the right shade."

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
By Howitzer69: Is this of any use to me? http://www.kawatriple.com/paintspec76.bmp

No. That's one of the charts Paintworkz knows about & Lubritech is out of business. Those "codes" would only have meaning to Kawasaki.

Related. Here's a Kawasaki Triples paint codes page. click the fuel tanks on the right. some of them have 4 layers. some don't have any layering info. FYI. the info box above the tanks changes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By Howitzer69: Is this of any use to me? http://www.kawatriple.com/paintspec76.bmp

No. That's one of the charts Paintworkz knows about & Lubritech is out of business. Those "codes" would only have meaning to Kawasaki.

Related. Here's a Kawasaki Triples paint codes page. click the fuel tanks on the right. some of them have 4 layers. some don't have any layering info. FYI. the info box above the tanks changes.
Unfortunately, I don't see the colour "vivid yellow" listed on any of these Kawasaki bikes...

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
In the topic post is that supposed to be V. Yellow? There are 2 red colors listed for the 75 G4TR-E, but not orange.

Here's an oil tank from a KV100. EB item number: 233711484434
V. Yellow is one of the colors listed for the KV100, so I guess that's what color this EB part is. From the diagrams & cross-ref at Partzilla the model has the same oil tank as the G4TR.

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
Partzilla shows v. yellow as one option for the OP's bike. Agreed that vivid yellow sure looks like orange.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
I'm wondering if that orange tank is actually V. Yellow or is he just assuming it is.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts