Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ride 'm like you stole it
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you all.

Great forum here, and i have seen some great projects here.
For me the reason to buy a vulcan VN 800a from '98
The ride was in a terrible state, bad paint, worn tires, bad electrics etc. etc.
But in my opinion a bargain.

Now here i start to post some pics and some questions, I'm building it right now. And will make some new pics this week how far the project is.

My ideas :

- Sportster tank
- 16" frontwheel
- lowering the complete ride
- Small saddle oldskool style
- Ape or Z-bar
- mini dashboard
- fork boots

Some questions:

I remodeled my airbox, i cutted the rear connection for the box under the tank I got rid of it. But how do I connect the vacuum hoses etc..

I can buy a set of 16" Harley Wheels, I know the axles are bigger
But can you make it fit the original VN 800a fork, did someone already did it

The thermo-unit between the radiator and hoses, is it really necessary?
It's so big and impossible to mount somewhere you cannot see it.

Here are some original pics and small mods form the last months

Attachments

·
Moto Mez
991 Posts
You should just try to find a Vulcan 16" wheel. If you get a Harley wheel there is gonna be trouble with bearings matching your axle. You will also be able to keep your stock braking system too. That would be your easiest way to go for the wheel.

Here is an idea for the thermostat. Living in Holland your bike might never warm up without a thermostat. Lets you keep your t-stat but clean it up a little.

·
First Time Roadie
57 Posts

I agree with keeping the t-stat, here is it mounted with a sporty tank.

here is a B model wheel on an A model, hardest part is pulling the old bearings to put the A model bearings into the B model hub.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i allready found out that it's realy hard to find bearings and probably get problems with breaking.

But i'll use the 21" wheel first, i did build it in last night and it's not bad at all.

It looks pretty cool......

the t-stat needs to be mounted I agree.... thx for the great pics.
I've now an idea how to mount it.

But I have another problem to solve....:oops: :sad:
We've forgotten how every hose, vacuum etc is mounted.

We losed the topbox(filter) under the original tank.
And made the filterbox flat from behind with the square holes opened.

We connected the big vacuumhose again to the filterbox. We closed the small hose (vacuum) that was connected to the petcock.

For the rest we think everything is correct connected. But the engine is running bad... not iddle only on very high RPM... (thats with a lot of noise, with open PIPES pow he)

I have found a nipple on the rear cylinder of the engine, that one is not connected to anything... is this right or wrong????

Thx for answering or idea's because when my engine is running OK, i can drive it to the painter, and my ride will be painted.
I've had it planned today but i could't bring it.....

Thx guys... i'm looking for my camera so i can make some pics for the progress.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you mean by the rocker cover, the chrome cover on top of the cylinder.
The plugs are connected to each other.

The open niple is right on the rear cylinder. It's like a small 5 mm nipple.
Size like the gastube. Do i need to cover that one? With a vacuum cap?

I will try that first thing in the morning it's now 21:50 here in holland.

Thx for the answer. I found my camera I will shoot some pics tomorrow

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question, I have a sportster tank with a normal petcock.
Can I disconnect all the hoses that are connected to the Vacuumswitch.
Or wat is that copper coloured thingie..../ hoses are connected to it.
And to the air filter box.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I removed all the vacuum mess. Put a cover on the T- hose connected on the rocker covers. I put a vacuum stopper on the carb... I closed the hole in the airfilter box.
After i correctly installed my carb. With the irritating rubber tjeesss

I started the engine and now it keeps running, but as usually not correct allready.... cry cry cry... but it keeps running on very High idle RPM and with really BIG backfiring FLAMES.... about a meter wow man.

Can I adjust the high RPM on the carb? I turned the idle screw complete off.
I cannot use this one to adjust my idle running now.

Is there another way to adjust it?

And does someone now why it's backfiring @ iddle????

Thx in advance.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:shock: :idea:

yep you were wright stupid me... it run's pretty sweet now...
I only need to mount the t-stat again.... hard cause my tank is mounted pretty low. But it runs now.

And got my girlie @home again, i drove her home....

I'm so happy now!!! Pics will come very soon.

Thk you guys for the answers.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some pics, got her running and she's home again :eek:

It needs to be painted, several optical small thingies... and some f*cking wiring to CUT..... and getting rid of it...

But she's home again...

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aarghhh it looks like I'm going from the one problem to the other.
Now my rear cylinder does not come along..... I can start the engine, had some wiring problems solved those. The sparkplug functions out of the cylinder, It sparks. The front cylinder functions normally.
And the engine runs idle but has no power, logic because the rear one is not working.

Does someone has ideas.

Thx in advance

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
these 800s have a habit of sometimes fouling rear plugs. if the plug is black, wet, and smells like gas, its fouled. you choking it before startin it up?? if not, you should always choke that bike before startin.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
I have done the aluminum Harley wheel on my 800. Ran it until the free tire that was on it was worn out.
I made a set of stainless side spacers that had a turn on them to fit into the 14mm HD bearing and still be snug on th12mm Vn axles. I then made an aluminum adapter to put my VN800 disc back on the HD wheel. If you still need these parts I will measure them up and draw you a print. You could have them made there cheaper than paying the duty on importing these,,maybe.
I now am running a aluminum front and rear wheel from a 500, they too required some massaging

·
Registered
40 Posts
Djeemz,

Man, your bike is looking good... hope you just need to replace/clean that rear plug, so you can get out and ride!

·
Bobber Builder
627 Posts
I have a 16" Vulcan B wheel already set up for a vulcan 800A if you are interested.

·
Registered
82 Posts
dude thats ****ed up,all that time and money and you hacked it up to look like it came out of a junk yard with different parts just thrown on it...i would have left it alone.or go with a wrap around fender and a low seat with apes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts