Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to drop the rear of my vn800a and basically lookin to do it on the cheap. I ran across this years ago and am thinkin of tryin it but was lookin to see if anyone else has and thier opinions. Or if there are other ways of droppin the back that someone can chime in with I'm open to suggestions. Heres the link....the one I wanna try is the where ya redrill the lower shock clevis..... Tweek's Vulcan Cruiser

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
wow. try the search. not tryin to be rude, but there are a million of these threads. just pull the trigger already. whats the worst that could happen??

·
Registered
182 Posts
i did tweeks dogbone trick, just cut the dogbones and weld in a 1/2 flat stock piece, instant 3 inch drop, but then the shock is way to soft so you gotta crank it up a bit. or you'll be bottoming out ALOT.

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
i dont understand why everyone wants to lower their bike so bad. my bike is at stock ride height, with a ton of weight cut off of the bike, with the shock turned up, and i still drag my pegs or kickstand from time to time. 3"?? that sounds like a lot??

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most of the set ups I've been lookin at have said they drop it 3" and that does seem a lil much. I liked the one where ya redrill the bottom hole to drop it maybe 1.5" but that just looks like it would give the shock travel room and I dont see that as bein good. As for why I want it dropped, I just like the looks of the ones jacked up in front and lower in back. Gives it that laydown look when ur ridin...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I agree with Spitbeard, my first 800 was lowered 2 3/4" in the rear and it dragged the kickstand all the time not to mention that it bottomed out when ever I crossed some railroad tracks or something. The one I have know will stay at stock height.

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
im not against it. i just like to ride my bike, hard. without having to worry about takin a corner or bump gingerly. im just sayin. now we return to your regularly scheduled lowering.

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
im not against it. i just like to ride my bike, hard. without having to worry about takin a corner or bump gingerly. im just sayin. now we return to your regularly scheduled lowering.

·
Registered
182 Posts
ive never dragged my pegs. but i have 2.5 inch longer mapam's controls on mine. i dont like how you can almost see through the rear tire and rear fender, i wanted the bike's fender to sit just above the rim, then i lowered the front accordingly, you will also have to get a B model or 900 kickstand , they are alot shorter. maybe thats why i never drag my parts.
and i ride hard sometimes. (still thinking im on my sportbike dragging my knee)

i am also 6 foot and 200lbs , maybe there is the difference.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
ive never dragged my pegs. but i have 2.5 inch longer mapam's controls on mine. i dont like how you can almost see through the rear tire and rear fender, i wanted the bike's fender to sit just above the rim, then i lowered the front accordingly, you will also have to get a B model or 900 kickstand , they are alot shorter. maybe thats why i never drag my parts.
and i ride hard sometimes. (still thinking im on my sportbike dragging my knee)

i am also 6 foot and 200lbs , maybe there is the difference.
You can't beat the looks on a lowered vn800 but the main problem for me was not draggin parts it was the bottoming out on the fender. The shock was set at the stiffest position.

Maybe it was lowered more than 2 3/4".

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Now let me say one more thing I forgot. I'm 5' 10" and 165 lbs.
Hehe, I know what ya'll were thinking.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well thats good to get height and weights of ya'll cuz I'm right in the middle at 5'10" 190. That way I have a general idea of how much to lower if I go for it.

·
Gone Out For A Ride......
79 Posts
To avoid bottoming out, if you don't mind a rigid frame ride why don't you make/buy a rigid strut to lower it 3'' ?(4.5'' if you include the clevis drop) Bottoming out solved, scraping well adjust whatever needs adjusting. I removed the mufflers and added 2'' s/s pipes, removing mufflers reduce the diameter which reduces lower pipe scraping in corner & use a Classic kick stand. My Triumph is a rigid with Cobra (spoon) seat and I have a roached back (degen. disc's lower back, scoliosis middle, arthritis in 2 upper vertebra's from fractures) but for some reason the hard tail Triumph doesn't cause me any grief.... maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know! I'm the same height and weight as you also...well...+ 4 lbs. Which I know really doesn't make much of a difference on a hard tail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts